Document management - Copy/Move between SharePoint sites?

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to Move some files/folders from one modern sharepoint team site to another, and as per the image here, when choosing 'Move to' the options don't exist to move files to another site:

move-files.png

However, when I choose 'Copy to' as per the next image below, I can copy them to any of the other sites in the list.

copy-files.png

Why can't I move files/folders? What am I missings? Is this coming or is not not a feature?

Thanks.

6 Replies
Everything is fine...move to is not ready yet to allow you to move documents between sites...same happens if you use move to in ODFB. So this is currently a feature we don't have and I expect we will have at the future, but no ETA yet

Thanks for the reply.

This is a little confusing however, as the user experience in a large percentage of situations finds users wanting to move files from one location to another, just like you do when you are on your computer... very seldom do you 'copy' files from one folder/drive to another, you 'move' them.

So I would think that user experience should be present across all user portals yes?

Yeah I agree with you Jason - but from what I've seen they still don't offer that functionality on the front-end UI with the exception of "Manage Content & Structure". However, that is most definitely not ideal for end users.

This feature will come ;)
Ha of course it will.. Everything comes in time. :)

the "technical" move process is kind of dangerous for onPrem, since you're preserving the previous security permissions (on NTFS) and are possibly locking out users from that file/folder that was moved.

The copy process instead inherits the targets security permissions. 

This might be the reason why SharePoint is not offering them, they could possibly implemented the feature identical to NTFS behaviour. This is just an assumption though. 

I always wished that Moved would in reality be a "copy and then remove old" process.