SOLVED

Document libraries - Is "Open with Explorer" going away at some point?

Deleted
Not applicable

Hello,
I was wondering if "Open with Explorer" or "View in File Explorer", as it's called in modern libraries, is going to go away at some point?

I'm asking because we still have quite a few users recluctant to using the OneDrive for Business client and we want to plan ahead.

Thanks for your input.

3 Replies
Million dollar question here and unfortunately, there is not a clear answer from Microsoft about what are the plans in regards to the Explorer View

Thanks and I agree. It might also be that this feature will automatically go away once IE is not compatible anymore since it's been working in IE exclusively as far as I know (Active-X?). We'll see.

So do you think it makes sense to prime users for that event or would you accept broad company usage of the webdav connection?

best response
Solution

Hi, @Deleted.

I would imagine that since Sync to OneDrive is available in Modern libraries then Open with Explorer should be superseded.

Anyway, I had one use case before where I had to disable this from the ribbon menu since I didn't want users to list files via Explorer. The gist is that you will have to create a custom permission level to disable this functionality. 

Disable or hide SharePoint menu options

Just a disclaimer that it may not be practical to apply this for all site collections in your tenant (compared to on-premise environment) but it is an available option. 

Fred Y 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Hi, @Deleted.

I would imagine that since Sync to OneDrive is available in Modern libraries then Open with Explorer should be superseded.

Anyway, I had one use case before where I had to disable this from the ribbon menu since I didn't want users to list files via Explorer. The gist is that you will have to create a custom permission level to disable this functionality. 

Disable or hide SharePoint menu options

Just a disclaimer that it may not be practical to apply this for all site collections in your tenant (compared to on-premise environment) but it is an available option. 

Fred Y 

View solution in original post