SOLVED

Document Library - New Default File Types

Iron Contributor

I have a document library that only allows me to add a new word file. I have a feeling this is from when I set up the document library and chose "Word" as the default file type.

Is there a way to change it so it shows all the microsoft products in the dropdown (Excel, OneNote etc.)?

Document Library - New File Menu.jpg

10 Replies

Yes, the way you have set this up is that the content type has just a word template, so that is the only document type you will be offered. 

Assuming you didn't want a template, just a blank document, you can fix it by going to list settings and in "Advanced" you should see the Document Template section has a Template URL input box. If you delete the template link, you should be able to get the full list of documents when you go back to the New link.

Depending on the situation it might be safer and easier to just create a new document library if that's an option.

If you actually want a template then you will need to start adding more templates for the different types, or create more content types.

You are not seeing the experience of creating files using Office Online because you have added custom content types to your document library
Not me, Juan Carlos; it's Reuben who is having the problem :)
Yeap Bill, sorry if you understood I have referring to you ;)

Thanks for your help!

This is what I see when I go to "Advanced Settings"

Since it is 'greyed out' I can't delete what is there. I don't think this is a permissions issue because I had my full Admin try to change it and she couldn't either.

Document Library Advanced Settings - Google Chrome 2017-03-30 83926 AM.bmp.jpg

Well this is interesting..... if I go to another document library I can actually edit the template file.....

Document Library Advanced Settings - Google Chrome 2017-03-30 90052 AM.bmp.jpg

best response confirmed by Reuben (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Updated: That looks like a customised look and feel you have there but shouldn't affect the functionality. You probably have "manage content types" enabled for that library so you won't be able to edit the template url. In that case edit the customized Document content type (click on link in the Content Types section of the Library Settings page. In Content Type settings go to Advanced Settings and remove the document template from there.

That worked!

I guess I should avoid having "Manage Content Types" checked off when creating a new Document Library.

Certainly complicates matters if you don't actually need to manage your Content Types :)

Starting to realize that we probably do need to manage our content types.

Just starting to look at content types and they are quite powerful.....

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Reuben (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Updated: That looks like a customised look and feel you have there but shouldn't affect the functionality. You probably have "manage content types" enabled for that library so you won't be able to edit the template url. In that case edit the customized Document content type (click on link in the Content Types section of the Library Settings page. In Content Type settings go to Advanced Settings and remove the document template from there.

View solution in original post