Document Library 'Holding Area'

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone,

I need to create a document library in a SharePoint. We have a system that will send the required documents to that library automatically. However these will need to be reviewed to ensure they are correct before they are released for groups to see. Is there a facility in SharePoint where documents can go into a holding area or not be visible to groups until they are approved?

Thanks as always.

6 Replies

Hello @AMJ_Devon,

I think a "Drop Off library" and associated content organizer rules would work as an "out of the box" solution.

Flow could also achieve this.

I hope this helps.

Norm

@Norman YoungI will certainly look into this so thanks for the tip. Unfortunately Flow will be a no-go as our organisation as switched it off :(

@Norman YoungMe again! I have looked into this a little more and it says that I need to activate the Content Organizer feature but when I try I get this error message:
Site
The Site scoped feature being activated has a dependency on hidden Site Collection scoped feature 'FeatureDefinition/15/0c8a9a47-22a9-4798-82f1-00e62a96006e' (ID: '0c8a9a47-22a9-4798-82f1-00e62a96006e'). Hidden features cannot be auto-activated across scopes. There may be one or more visible Site Collection scoped features that auto-activate the dependent hidden feature.

Any ideas what this means?

@AMJ_Devon If you are using a new Group Enabled Team Site, then some of the classic SharePoint Site Features are not enabled by default (don't ask me why, I have not seen an explanation from Microsoft), but to use the Content Organizer feature, you first need to enable the "SharePoint Server Standard Site Collection Features" on the Site  Settings page, (under the Site Collection Features link)

Thanks @Dean Gross Our organisation has a lot of things switched off so might get nowhere fast on this one. Cheers for the tip though!

@AMJ_Devon I would recommend reviewing the disabled features and then determine which of them would provide some business benefits, this is not something that should be done by the IT staff, it needs to involve a multi-disciplinary team that represents the business users. You can then prioritize the features for enablement and put together a roadmap to implement them. This should include a lot of effort around user adoption and change management. 

Someone is paying for a lot of tools, you might as well use them.