Display thumbnail of image attachment within cell of SharePoint Online List item

Copper Contributor

I have a SharePoint Online List to which data (include image attachments) is entered by users through a PowerApp. Is there a way to display a thumbnail of the image within a cell of the list item?

6 Replies

Hey @hydbadi ,

Are you talking about modern lists?

Either way, you can create an Image field paste the Image URL into it. Sharepoint will display it as an image.

Regards,

@Deleted 

OK. I was able to manually enter the URL for the attachment and was able to get the image to display within the list item. However, is there a way to display thumbnail in the Image column automatically if an attachment is present in the list item? The list users may or may not attach images and I do not want to manually enter a image URL to each item. I am guessing I need a formula or JSON to achieve this?

list with images.png

Hey @hydbadi ,

I don't think there is a OOTB way to accomplish what you're looking for. Although maybe you can use a SHarepoint Designer workflow to copy the URL of the image if the user uploaded one and set it to the img Field. Other than that, I believe uploading the image and having Sharepoint reference it is the way to go. Lemme know if you need any help.

Regards,

@Deleted 

OK. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't believe SharePoint Designer can be used with SharePoint Online. And, since the number of list items will be between 100 - 200, manually adding the URL is not an effective option.

this can be done with powerapps and if you dont really want to modify the SP form you could also run a powerautomate flow to grab the 1st attachment's url on new item add and populate it in your image field.

@BrandiLaRue @hydbadi 

Use Image column in SharePoint online lists to store an image instead of using attachments.

Check: SharePoint Online: All you need to know about New Image column type 

SharePoint image columns can be displayed in Power Apps as well as can be updated from Power Apps, check:

1. Power Apps can now display images from SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 
  2. Add, update, or delete images in SharePoint/Microsoft Lists using Power Apps 

You can also work with SharePoint image columns using Power automate flows:

1. Add an image to SharePoint Image columns using Power Automate 
  2. Update image in SharePoint/Microsoft Lists Image columns using Power Automate 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.