SOLVED

Customize Error Messages?

Brass Contributor

Hello, 

Is it possible to customize SPO error messages? 

For example: We have a retention policy in place that gives users an error when they try to delete a site. In this case we would like to customize the message, rather than showing the out of the box error that often does not mean much to an end user... 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
Unfortunately no. Microsoft does not provide a way to customize errors coming from the backend such the one you mention here

@DanielaH while you cannot customize those error messages, you could create a Flow to send a message to the user.

Hi @Dean Gross 

Thanks so much for the suggestion - I did not know a Flow can be triggered from a SPO Error message! Can you share what the exact flow trigger is called to enable this?

Sorry, I was not very clear, I did not mean to imply that an error message could trigger a Flow, I don't think that is possible, but there are other events that may be useful. One approach would be to monitor the Audit Log for Site creation events and use that to start a Flow, an article describing this was recently published at https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/custom-connector-microsoft-flow-search-unified-audit-log/ , one caution about this approach is that it takes a while for the log to process all of the events so you would not be getting messages delivered immediately.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
Unfortunately no. Microsoft does not provide a way to customize errors coming from the backend such the one you mention here

View solution in original post