Creation of Forms (for Excel) in SharePoint document library generate double file extensions?!

Iron Contributor

Hi guys!

This one is really getting on my nerves... When I create a new Forms for Excel object in a SharePoint document library, I am prompted for the name of the file, like this: 

Capture.PNG

This is fine, but when I click Save, the actual filename looks like this:

Capture2.PNG

See my issue?

So I thought to myself, aha! I can create the form from Microsoft forms instead! So I tried this and guess what? My newly created form generates an excel file in my SharePoint document library with the name Untitled form.xslx... And if a make another form the a filename is Untitled form 1.xslx and so on...

I really don´t want to tell my customer that they need to rename each and every file generated when they create forms. Any ideas here on how to work around this issue? Can I change the name of the file with Flow somehow? Right now this it is not usable if you have a more than one form, because you cannot see which Excel file that belongs to which form... Help?

/Maggan

4 Replies

@Maggan Wåhlin I just tried to re-create this problem on my One-Drive using the Forms for Excel button and didn't see the doubling of the XLSX extension there. Do you get the same behavior in OneDrive? For some reason We don't appear to have this preview enabled in our SharePoint Online instance. I'll look around and see if I can recreate on my development tenant.

Maybe the issue is specific to the language that the Forms for excel feature is being used in? En-US locality on my end.

Update - couldn't get the option to move up within the selection list on the library... so that's some additional weirdness that I'm seeing. I can't get the button to show in SharePoint Online, even in my dev tenant.

@Maggan Wåhlin 

I tried to replicate the issue that you are facing and was able to create form for excel without any challenges....

Did you try to create the form in a different browser...?

@Robin Nishad Yes, I have tried different browsers - does not work. I also tried the same in a site with English locale, but it still does not work. I guess this is a bug, hopefully Microsoft is aware.

@Maggan Wåhlin 

Check if there are any advisory or Incidents showing on your tenant in Service Health... if not would suggest to open a case with MS.

Thanks