SOLVED

Creating a new site collection

Copper Contributor

The interface for our Office 365 recently changed and we can no longer find how to create new site collections. Is there specific documentation that could inform us on how to do that or could someone offer some insight on how we can still create site collections?

14 Replies
best response confirmed by Teresa Roberts (Copper Contributor)
Solution
In Admin, go to the menu 'Admin Centers' then SharePoint. You should land on the site collection page where you can create new site collections as normal.

It is pretty easy you can go directly to Https://"tennanname"-admin.sharepoint.com or follow this video:

Paul thank you for your reply and the helpful video!  For some reason our O365 portal does not contain the "Admin Center" icon.  Is that a feature that needs to be activated by administrators?

Tanya is correct!

Hi Teressa,

the only thing i could think of is that you are not a SharePoint admin. Could this be possible?

Kr,

Paul

The SharePoint admin center is available via this URL - you could try that directly/bookmark it.

https://<tenantname>-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/SiteCollections.aspx

I see some weird problems with the App Launcher sometimes and I have found that by clicking the View All My Apps link, it forces a refresh and the problems are fixed.

I tried the link Kevin provided and recieved a message that I don't have permission. I am an admin on my own previously created site collections, but with the new interface, will need the admin center in order to create any new ones.  I will talk with our systems people and see if they can activate the admin center part for us end-users.   

You have to be a SharePoint Admin or O365 Global Admin to access that page

Even though I am a SharePoint Admin for several site collections, When I log into Office 365, (Enterprise), I do not have the Admin Center tile available via the app launcher. Do you know if it Is only supposed to be available to O365 Global Admins?

Interestingly, I have discovered a long user-unfriendly URL path to https://<tenantname>/.../.../.../mngsubwebs.aspx page which allows me to create new subsites. The Admin Center would make it so much easier!

You have to either be an O365 Global Admin or a O365 SharePoint Admin (not Site Collection Admin) in order to be able to get to the SP Admin panel.

Admins are assigned in a hierarchy: O365 admin (for all services), SharePoint Service Admin (for all site collections), Site Collection Admin (for all sites in a collection), Site Admin (for subsites). This is a greatly simplified explanation.

More details can be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/About-Office-365-admin-roles-da585eea-f576-4f55-a1e0-87090b...

Hi @Teresa Roberts -  As a site collection admin you have full control over every aspect of your site collections except...

• Enabling or disabling External Sharing on your site collection  
  • Changing the site Owner (aka Primary Site Collection Administrator) 
  • Project Web App settings for your site collection (if applicable)
  • Setting the Site Collection Quota
  • Did I miss any?

For these settings you would make a request to an O365 Global admin or O365 SharePoint Service Admin in your tenant.

As for creating subsites on an existing site collection, you can do this from the Site Contents page on the site under which you would like to create a subsite. 

Happy Friday - Greg

If you are a O365 SharePoint Service Admin or an O365 Global Admin.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Teresa Roberts (Copper Contributor)
Solution
In Admin, go to the menu 'Admin Centers' then SharePoint. You should land on the site collection page where you can create new site collections as normal.

View solution in original post