Create Modern Team Site NOT Linked to a Group

Iron Contributor

All,

Recently we were able to create Modern Team sites and communciations sites NOT linked to an Office 365 Group from the SharePoint Home page "Create Site Function". It seems that has gone away and we are now required to create a Group for team sites (communication sites seem fine). Is it me? Can we create a modern team site without creating a group?

7 Replies

The only way to do that is by creating it as a global SharePoint admin. Which you have to transform to modern by enabling features.

And by the way, Communication Sites are not tied to an Office 365 Group...the ability to create modern SPO Team Sites, Communication Sites and Classic SPO Sites is coming to the new SPO Admin Center (currently in preview in First Release tenants)

Hello Paul,

Can you please list which features need to be activated?

Thank you!

@Deleted wrote:

The only way to do that is by creating it as a global SharePoint admin. Which you have to transform to modern by enabling features.

I am interested in knowing what features you are referring to as well.

Mark

Did anyone ever come back to you with an answer about this?

Thanks,
Mark

@Mark MoranActually no - I was recently revisiting this topic with my team and organization and am still wondering if this is possible.

@Juan Carlos González Martín- obviously we can create a communication site without being linked to a team, the issue there is still the lack of flexibility to choose the navigation layout - would love to have the ability to have a left nav or not <or full page look or not, which ever view suits you.  :) >.

We are still not using Groups due to the fact that we are in full Hybrid Mode and on premises users cannot locate the groups in the GAL.

Finally we are handing out sites pretty quickly now and would like to NOT have to convert them to modern pages manually - especially when we offer groups and start converting the existing team sites. 

@Mark Kashmanhoping you will chime in with a thought or possibility here.

Hi there,

Not sure the question is still open but I had the same problem and found a solution on this blog: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ronalg/2018/08/07/creating-a-sharepoint-online-modern-team-site-wit...

I used the SPO Management Shell and the New-SPOSite cmdlet, specifying the STS#3 template: the site was created without any link to a group and it's a "modern" Team Site all right.

If this can be of any help...!

- AG