SOLVED

Create HUB site

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I am on SharePoint Online. How i can know if i can create a HUB site ? if this feature is deploy on my tenant ?
I tried the command :
Register-SPOHubSite -Site https://.sharepoint.com/sites/testsite1      

The command passed with no errors but i can 't see changes     

Other question :
Microsoft show this screen for HUB site. This site template will ba available by default ?

thansk

16 Replies
If you have it on your tenant, then when you navigate to the site you specified and you will see a new Global nav at the top. Then your other site collections in the tenant, if you navigate to them, and select the cog in top right, then site information, you will have a drop down for joining the hub site you specified. I don't think hub sites have started rolling out to GA, so if your tenant isn't on Targeted Release that's an easy way to tell as well. The command will still run, just won't activate till later.
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Once you registered for hubsite please associate and join sites to hub by following below

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/features/hub-site/create-hub-site-with-powershell

Then you can build a consistent navigation theme on top which associates all sites to top navigation and similar structure will appear on all associated sites.

You can build a news roll up which rolls up content from all sites on the hub.

Basically you have to leverage all modern webparts and design the hubsite to get below look and feel.

We have a dev/test tenant which is set to "first release" channel and I'm able to create and use hub sites there. In our production tenant, I'm seeing the same behavior as you. I can register a site as a hub site, but when I go to the site itself, there is no global nav at the top, nor is the "Hub site" option in the cog/gear menu. I ran the 'register-spohubsite' command again and got a message that the site is already a hub. I'm assuming that the necessary change was made to the site, but the GUI elements just aren't in our prod tenant yet. 

We do not see the option either. Is this fully released yet?
i am confused as to what can be done on which tenants

Via the support article explaining the PowerShell script, it seems as though you need to associate sites with the Hub Site in order for the changes to take place. I'd go ahead and take the next step to see if this changes anything. 

I've done all that. I believe the issue I'm seeing is explained by the fact that the feature is not in GA yet. I was surprised to see the Powershell cmdlets executing successfully and hope that means the back end components are in place and the GUI bits will be there soon.
Same thing happened for targeted release. Powershell worked but didn’t see UI until it was pushed live.
Hub sites are not supposed to be in production yet. Check the Q & A section in the blog announcement: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Blog/Organize-your-intranet-with-SharePoint-hub-si...
"SharePoint hub sites will begin to roll out to Targeted Release customers starting late March 2018 and will be completed within 1 month. We are then targeting early May 2018 for complete worldwide rollout. You can track release progress on the public Office 365 Roadmap; note this link is filtered on “SharePoint” items."
To be fair as Juan says hub sites are not yet in production only Targeted Release. Admins need to check over the complete message in the Message Center which typically indicates rollout schedule. In addition Microsoft folk such as @Andy Haon for SharePoint flag the percentage rolled out to production on Twitter. This community frequently highlight to each other when features rollout and the Office 365 roadmap provides the long view. These are all resources which are easily accessible. We can only hope that one day we all get our ‘personalised’ Message Center. Until then some detective work is required.

thanks for all.

I my first post i asked another question and i don't see reply about this :

Microsoft show this screen for HUB site. This site template will be available by default in O365 ?

thanks

@Eric LE CORRE, I don't think that's a particular template. It looks like a communication site with the Hub-award web parts added.

On a slightly different topic, as I've been documenting this function and talking to people about it, I've begun referring to the "child" sites (which really aren't children of the hub) as "Spoke" sites. Does MS have an official term for them (other than Hub-connected sites) that we could/should be using?

I tend to refer to them as hub associated sites because this is the term used within the cmdlet. Also associated doesn’t imply a level in effect many associated sites are peers and the hub simply an aggregation site. I’ve consciously avoided thinking of hub sites in any form of hierarchy.

@John Wynne, that's the term I started with, but it's a bit of a mouthful. Also, "spoke" and "hub" are basically lateral terms and also provides the visual that each spoke "sees" the hub as a central point, but each is also its own individual element/object.

It's really a po-tay-to/po-tah-to matter, and different audiences will be more open to or understanding of different terms.

-Chad

i ask if it is a new Template because i use modern communication website and the webpart "banner" is really really too big and not very cool. in this Template, the banner seems to be smaller

That "banner" is the Hero web part, which is actually pretty darn cool and very flexible. You can decide how many tiles you want (just one or up to five) and each can be customized with an image, title text and link to something different. The only thing I *don't* like about it is that if you choose a solid color tile, it's the site's default color (ie: you can't choose a color). Then again, most people want images in there, so it's not a dealbreaker.

Also, it seems like Hub Sites went live in our production environment this morning. I was actually in a meeting with someone, demoing their new site (which is configured as a hub site) and saying something like "and when Hub Sites go live, you'll see a global navigation bar...just...like...the one you're seeing here.  Huh...I guess Hub Sites are live..." 

Working in Office 365 is sometimes like trying to tune up a car while the engine is running...you're never quite sure what's going to happen, and there's always a chance it could go badly.

It's no written that they completed worldwide rollout. Is that still just for targeted release? 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Once you registered for hubsite please associate and join sites to hub by following below

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/features/hub-site/create-hub-site-with-powershell

Then you can build a consistent navigation theme on top which associates all sites to top navigation and similar structure will appear on all associated sites.

You can build a news roll up which rolls up content from all sites on the hub.

Basically you have to leverage all modern webparts and design the hubsite to get below look and feel.

View solution in original post