Create Folder with a value from the term store

Copper Contributor

Hi folks

How can I create a folder in a document library everytime e new value is insertered into a specific branch of a term set in the term store?

We, a team of 10 sales guys, have a term store where we maintain our customer names within our Office365 SPO environment. We came up with a workflow done with Sharepoint Designer (Sparepoint2013 Workflow) that creates a folder based on the value of the customer name in the term store everytime we upload a document to our library and asign related metadata for the 1st time.

So the workflow is

1. Generate a new document
  2. Upload the document
  3. Edit the metadata
  4. During input of metadata we create the new customer in the term store
  5. We save the document
  6. The workflow creates the folder with the customer name and moves the document into the customer folder

This works, but create the folder only after we generate a document for the customer for the first time.

We are looking to have something like this:

1. We create a customer (preferably through powerapps through a mobile device) in a list, directly to the termstore or somewhere else
  2. If the customer has been created outside the termstore we will now create the value in the termstore
  3. We create a folder structure with the root folder having the customer name from the term store.
  4. When the customer name in the termstore is changed, the folder name should change too

What would you suggest how we appoach this task? The programming of the wórkflow is not so much the issue. We would more appreciate a suggestion on the general approach how to do this.

Thanks

Stephan

3 Replies
I think your requirements can be met, but with custom development...SPO, Office 365 & Azure provides you with the blocks you can use to build the kind of workflows you are describing here:
- SPO APIs: REST APIs | CSOM | Webhooks
- PnP Stuff
- Flow
- Azure Functions

Thanks for your feedback

I do want to stick with the non-coding tools since we are only power-users and not developers.

I will do some further research on this issue. Maybe I can I find a solution that comes with the built-in workflows of SPO.

Not exactly what you are asking, but you may find the Content Organizer helpful, it does not require any coding. see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Configure-the-Content-Organizer-to-route-documents-B0875658... for the details.