Content Organizer: Limits and Modern Experience

Bronze Contributor

Hi all,

We're currently implementing a Document Management System in SharePoint Online. For this DMS we plan to make use of SharePoint's built-in Content Organizer with dynamically (programmatically) created rules. Potentially quite a lot (1000+) of rules will be required. Does this scale well? Is there a (documented) limit on the maximum amount of CO-rules that can be properly handled by SharePoint? Should we consider a more modern alternative to the built-in Content Organizer?

With regards to modern alternatives Content Organizer is not available yet in Modern UI. Will it ultimately become available or are there plans to provide for an alternative solution? 

11 Replies
I'm not aware of any limits around the content organized but I bet that in your scenario you will probably reach some kind of limitations...as an alternative to the Content Organizer, I would suggest to develop the entire solution

Thanks Juan, my gut feeling tells me too we'll run into some limitations... I'd love to get some more tangible advice here, also around future / modern investments in the feature. Will Content Organizer still be a valid component to use for the foreseeable future and also will the be a Modern Experience for it soon.

@Vesa Juvonen would you be able to share your thoughts here?

I can't really confirm or deny future of the content organizer at this point, but SharePoint engineering is starting to move forward now with the modernization of these DM features. Now that baseline with modern team sites and communication sites have been established, we can start modernizing other capabilities. What that means exactly for content organizer is something which we can't unfortunately really explicitly call out at this point.

Hey Vesa,

Any clarification on the future of the Content Organiser? It is something my users really like, so I want to know how "future proof" solutions are that we are implementing now on Sharepoint Online using that feature

Thanks

Hi Nigel, we don't really have anything specific to report now around the content organizer. It's absolutely a great capability. We are looking into investing more and more on the document management capabilities in the modern experiences as well, but not sure on the exact plan around content organizer, so can't really comment anything specific at this point.

We should be able to share some new ideas around the Enterprise Content Management in SPC on the week of 21st of May. Obviously, all announcements will be also pushed out as blog posts with associated documentation, so you do not need to be present in Las Vegas to hear about the direction... even though even will be certainly great.

Hi Vesa,

Can you please share an update on the support for content organizer in modern UI's?

Thanks,

Stefan

@Deleted 

I have the same questions about the content organizer.  Where is the latest information?

Updates?

Hi @Vesa Juvonen 

Was there ever an update on the Content Organiser back in 2018? If so, do you have a link to more info as I can't find a thing.

Cheers

Tony

no, still no updates...

Thanks for the reply, I guess we just continue to wait for news (or have to develop our own)