Community Site Template

Iron Contributor

Although the community site template has been available for a while, we have not really used it in our SharePoint environment. We are just now taking a look at this site template and have a question or two in case someone had come across this already.  We are not seeing the option for using hashtags is this something that may not be supported?

2 Replies

Unfortunately, it's complicated! The community site template has a few "issues" and hasn't gotten any updates since it was first introduced in SharePoint 2013. It had a "moment," but Yammer would be the best way to achieve the same outcome that the community site template serves. If that's not an option for you, the answer to your question is that while you can use hashtags in a Community Site post, you can't create them in a Community Site. You would have to create your hashtags in the hashtag term set at the org level or from the legacy SharePoint Newsfeed. Once they exist, you can use them. I did a presentation about Community Sites a long time ago that might be helpful. Nothing has changed about them since then so I think the content might be useful if you really, really have to use them. Exploring the SharePoint 2013 Community Site Template

Thank you very much for the response and feedback, I really appreciate it. That's right and what I hear frequently even from our dedicated Microsoft engineer in going with Yammer but we are not yet ready for doing so. The newsfeed functionality looks to be on its way out since last month so its something else we wont be using going forward. I'm more doing a review on "legacy" functionality and most likely it may not be leveraged but at least sharing the limitations this capability offers.  Thank you again so much, very helpful!