Comments field on modern page

MVP

Hi,

Comments on Site page are enabled in Admin settings and appear on new page but Home one. If assign the page as homepage comments are disappeared.

Is that by design or i missed something in settings?

6 Replies

I just noticed this as well.  Perhaps @Alyssa Danesh could comment on if this is by design.  

@Sergei Baklan @Luke Hoffman

Yes, that is by design the thinking being that home pages typically do not have comments. Comments are not lost, if that page is not longer set to the home page the comments will reappear. 

Would love your feedback here! What is your desired behavior? Is there a desire for comments on the home page of a site?

Thanks! 

Hi Alyssa,

Thank you for the clarification. The key word in your answer is "typically".  In some scenarios that could be desirable to have comments on home page. But only in some.

From my point of view perfect solution if we have an option to switch on/off comments on home page.

I would prefer the ability to enable comments on the home page, instead of them being turned off completely once I designate the page as 'home'.

Sorry, I cannot agree with the opinion that "home pages typically do not have comments", I sometimes do like to comment on a home page...e.g. well-organised and clean home page, I like it.

I'd strongly suggest to give SharePoint admin the ability to switch the comments on and off, rather than hard-coding it by checking whether it is home page...

So, if possible, could you please give that switch back to us on home page ASAP, as I'm currently have clients waiting for that feature, thanks.

Regards,
William

Hi , 

I have found a work around to enable comments on SitePage Homepage:

1. Rename the current Site Page homepage as PreviousHome.aspx
  2. Create a Site Page, name it FuturHome.aspx and re-build in your previous Homepage
  3. Create a Wiki Page and name it Home.aspx and set it as the homepage
  4. Delete the Wiki Page home.apsx
  5. Rename the FuturHome.aspx as home.aspx
  6. Click on the home.aspx Tadaaaa... Comments appears in the SitePage Homepage
  7. Delete PreviousHome.aspx

Obviously features on comments are not the wame as Newsfeed, but it do the job for almost to provide a discussion board on the page. 

Let me know if it works well for you,

Best,

Jérémie