SOLVED

Cloning Spaces for Test/Dev?

Copper Contributor

Originally, I was looking to clone our SP site to make a dev/test site. However, I'm not sure that since we're in the cloud, there's much reason for a separate instance, or if I should be cloning a space instead and then develop/build in that cloned space instead. So my questions are two-fold:

• Is it possible to clone a single space? Would this offer any benefit over cloning an entire site (the structure of it)?
  • Do SharePoint designers and developers usually develop in a test instance? (I come from the world of web development where I do everything in a text environment before I even attempt to roll it out live.)

Thanks everyone!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Charisma Riley (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you use PnP for creating your SPO Sites and for provisioning your customizations, you should be able to easily clone your sites so you can work on a Dev Site and once you are ready, deploy your dev to production

Do you have any resources you specifically recommend for PnP with SPO sites?

Sure!
This is actually an old post, but it perfectly describes the process of cloning a site using PowerShell PnP: https://blog.portiva.nl/2016/03/15/provisioning-site-collection-with-office-dev-pnp-powershell/
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Charisma Riley (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you use PnP for creating your SPO Sites and for provisioning your customizations, you should be able to easily clone your sites so you can work on a Dev Site and once you are ready, deploy your dev to production

View solution in original post