Change deafult font in SharePoint Online (modern experience)

Deleted
Not applicable

We have a requirement to be able change the default font in SPO for our new Intranet which is using the modern experience. I've can't see a way to do this OOTB. Is it possible to do a (supported) CSS override? Does anyone have any experience of doing this an if so, how has this gone e.g. page content vs. web parts etc.

11 Replies

Thanks Juan.

Yes, we've looked at that. You can specify a different font, but it is only respected on classic sites, not modern sites unfortunately.

Hi Scott, 

Did you find a way to change the global font for a SP site collection? We also have this requirement and whilst I can change fonts in any custom webpart, it doesn't seem you can do this globally. Perhaps, we could with an extension but this seems a bit hacky...

-Max

Hi Max,

We've explored every option and consulted with Microsoft. Sadly at this point there is no consistent, supported method for doing this. As you say, it possible to change some aspects but not all and certainly not in a way that's easy or maintainable.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott,

did you get any new information on this since July?

If not, can you share the reply given to you by Microsoft?

I found only this one uservoice entry for this specific requirement: https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/34394050-allow-cu...

Did you identify any other information indicating that this would be available in the future?

Thanks,

Thomas

@Thomas Bak 

Any update on changing fonts for modern experience ?

@Chris Gray You need to use SharePoint framework extension application customizer to inject the CSS to your modern SharePoint pages.

Following sample tells you how to inject the CSS:

https://github.com/SharePoint/sp-dev-fx-extensions/tree/master/samples/react-application-injectcss

Oh, and you have to import the fonts at the top of the CSS, from the url you want.

@Udaybhanu Karmakar , solution you propose is not supported, even if viable. You should not use this to modify styling of areas you don't own. The purpose of this is to modify styling of your custom components. If you modify css of areas you don't own, it can break your modern site with some of the next Microsoft updates. Currently there is no solution to change fonts on OOB areas of modern sites. Its very unfortunate, but this is how it works with O365. Please use ms feedback channels, so they have more inputs and use cases. User voice is unfortunately no more available.

Why is this even an issue, Microsoft?  It's about the most basic of requests, a fundamental style choice but it's unsupported?  Just do away with the whole 'Change the Look' and make it 'Style Settings' that let you pick variables to be fed in to the CSS.  That's 1997 technology... c'mon.

@VNJoe Font is an identity for organizations. There should more attention brought to this feature request. What can we do? 

I don't know... 46,000+ views, no statement by Microsoft. The way to customize it is so convoluted, you need to hire someone to modify the SharePoint configuration files and publish them... I looked in to it briefly but realized I don't have the time to reinvent an extremely basic feature.

It's as if they have lost their minds when it comes to design and functionality.

Try here for the customization tool maybe...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/272015/custom-fonts-and-custom-theme-or-css-on-sh...