Cannot Link to Word Bookmarks from SharePoint Online

Copper Contributor

I'm looking to create a help page that links to various sections of a document using Word bookmarks, but every attempt I've made doesn't seem to work properly.

When creating a link to my document on SharePoint, I've tried using the Bookmark field on the Link ribbon, but dispite multiple attempts the file continues to open (in Word 2010) at the very top of the document. 

Example attempts are:

• "bookmark"
  • "#bookmark"
  • "#_bookmark"

I feel like this task shouldn't be this difficult. Is this a bug, or could I be doing something wrong?

5 Replies
It could be a problem caused by Word 2010. I would recommend updating to Word 2016 which is fully supported for use with Office 365.

@Dean Gross that's out of my control at the time being. Do you think Word Online would cooperate better thatn 2010 if I could get the links to open there by default?

Bookmark and cross-reference links work, and you can edit their display text, but not their destination, in Word Online, see https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Differences-between-using-a-document-in-the-browser-and-in-... for some more details.
You need to talk to whoever provides you Office and get upgraded, there are going to be many annoying issues when you are using 2010 with O365.

Hi All,

I wanted to follow-up on this post as I have been upgraded to Office 2016, but am still experiencing the same issue.

Has anyone been able to find a way to link to different sections of a word document saved on SharePoint 2016? It's not feasible for me to continue breaking up a document into multiple sections everytime an update comes through.

I am having the same problem.  I am using SharePoint Online, I have a PowerPoint slide that links to a bookmark in a Word document.  It works fine if I open up the PowerPoint in PowePoint.  However, I have the PowerPoint embedded in the home page and it does not recognize the #bookmark.

@Alex Henry wrote:

Hi All,

I wanted to follow-up on this post as I have been upgraded to Office 2016, but am still experiencing the same issue.

Has anyone been able to find a way to link to different sections of a word document saved on SharePoint 2016? It's not feasible for me to continue breaking up a document into multiple sections everytime an update comes through.