Can I auto tag managed column when chosing a content type

Iron Contributor

So, I've created a bunch of term sets and corresponding terms in the term store. I've then created a number of content types in ContentTypeHub. Now, I wish that whenever a user on my site selects "new" picks one of the available content types (e.g. "contract"), then this document should automatically get the custom coulmn "DocType"  (associated with the content type) to be have "contract" pre-selected.

Can this be done? 

4 Replies
You can't specify default column values based on another column. I have done this before using Flow to update a column based on other values selected that could also be the content type id.
If you want this over multiple libraries then you would need to create an on item added to each doc library and then a generic Flow you call that updates the item. You could also use a SharePoint list to store the settings for the Flow to make more configurable.
OK, thanks for the advice!

I'll try to look into your suggestions. However, I get the feeling that I'm looking at the wrong approach here.

What I want to achieve is having a set of content types that users can choose from if they want. When they do so - it makes sense to me that this also becomes something that can be filtered or sorted (like any other column), also it should be possible to apply the same category to sort/filter on even if the content type is not used.

So if a user picks a content type then the corresponding "doctype" column value is automatically filled in.

Is there any other way to sort/filter on content type?
If you are using a modern list, the show/hide does not show the Content Type column. To add it, go to List Settings and click on your view "All Documents", and then select Content Type and change the order it is shown. This column will then show in the view and is filterable

Hi, an again thanks for you suggestions and help!

I do use the modern experience, but cannot find "list settings". Its a document library and the only settings I can find are the "library settings" but there it was "All documents" and from there I could enable the "content type" column.  Very well hidden :)

So, now I guess I just need to choose, either having a custom column which is not automatically set when creating a new doc based on a content type

or

Using the content type column but then missing out on the possibility to use  to filter on this if user decides to e.g. create a report but not using the report content type.