Calendar Overlays not available...? (SP Foundation 2013)

Brass Contributor

I have a business lead who is using SP Foundation 2013 and they have requested I create some calendar overlays for them.  When I open the ribbon, I don't have "Calendar Overlay" as an available option (its not grayed out - its simply not available).

Any insight as to what might cause this? 

• Is it because its a foundation site?
  • Would the "Overlay" button not appear if this were initially created as a list and then had a Calendar view added after? (I'm not sure of the history/evolution of the list - just trying to think of why this would be)

Any thoughts as to how I could add an Overlay?  This has almost 2 years worth of entries - I'd hate to scrap it.

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply

@Dan Barnett - 

• Is it because its a foundation site?

I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that needs to be enabled for the feature to be there.

• Would the "Overlay" button not appear if this were initially created as a list and then had a Calendar view added after? (I'm not sure of the history/evolution of the list - just trying to think of why this would be)

If you create a calendar view on a standard list - the options to overlay calendars do not show up at all (in my version of SharePoint Server 2013 - December 2019 CU) 

So couple things to try:

Change your user agent agent (if using IE 11 or edge) to Internet Explorer 10 (F12 to pull up dev tools, Emulation Tab and there's a drop to change this for the window that the dev tools are active in)- some features in SharePoint 2013 are particularly sensitive to the User Agent string being passed into the context and this will fix it.

... (or try using Chrome - haven't seen compatibility issues here)

Run Configuration Wizard/PSConfig - if you have updates passively applied to the server there are sometimes weird behaviors that occur and this might be a symptom of it.