Attaching a Word File from Sharepoint frequently results in a ...docx.doc file which is an ASD

Copper Contributor

We have a process where we generate engineering documents, word and excel, and store them on office 365 sharepoint site.   Once they have been reviewed they are emailed for approval as an attachment.  Right wrong or indifferent, they are not sent as links.  

It is the last step where I frequently experience the outlook attachment as a filename.docx.doc  Which if you click on it results in a error stating that its an .asd file.   When this happens it really derails the process. 

It has happened by starting from within a word document and choosing file, share, share as attachment.  I have also had it occur from within outlook and using the attachment feature and selecting a recently opened document.  

I believe that in many instances this happens having just finished editing a document and perhaps not saving it, and when working on it collaboratively.

Any thoughts on why this is happening or a known fix would be appreciated. 

2 Replies

It sure sounds like you're trying to fix a problem but you already know the answer.  I can't speak to why exactly attachments extension get screwed up, but I would strongly recommend you change the process and how the files are shared.  If they are sent as links this entire problem goes away.  Emailing attachments is and will cause confusion, duplication and complicate the process guaranteed.  How are you doing the approvals?  Is Flow or workflows involved?  Sure sounds like some opportunities for automation to solve this problem from a different perspective.

Doug's suggestion is the easiest way forward. Use SharePoint Online as a repository for the documents. Mail links instead of attachments to ensure there is no discussion about who approved which version at what date and time.

If part of the target audience does not have access to the site then mailing the documents can be an alternative. Downloading a file and then attaching it to an email is tedious.

There are several vendors that provide solutions to simplify this step by offering functionality to directly attach documents in SharePoint to an email. Check out AppSource https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/?product=sharepoint%3Bteams%3Bword&search=email%20attachments%...

The companion I am affiliated with is just of one several vendors.

Paul | SLIM Applications