Are External Content Types and Secure Stores still a viable option?

Steel Contributor

I am looking to use Azure SQL for master data and connect this data to SharePoint solutions.

External Content types have been a good answer for a while. However, in the new SharePoint admin center, these options are hidden which indicates to me that this feature will be deprecated at some point.

Curious about the communities' thoughts on using external content types. Do you use them? Concerns about using them? Best practices?

If not do you have a different solution for "master data" across sites? This is data that is sourced in SQL databases.

Thanks, e

7 Replies
I have switched to using PowerApps to show data from external systems and embed in SharePoint pages. You can also customise list forms in PowerApps to include lookups to external data. I've been waiting for this ability on document libraries for meta data that is coming soon to make this a complete viable alternative.
You are using full PowerApps too, correct. You can't accomplish this with a "custom form in PowerApps", right?

That seems like sound architecture. I didn't know that this was coming to doc libs. That's will be great. Seems like managed metadata is out the door too.

Thanks!
You can also do this with custom form in PowerApps by adding another data source other than the list it was generated from so you don’t need a full PowerApp to do the meta data scenario
@Alan this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I haven't been able to create the SQL server connection to Azure SQL or connect it to the form through "add data source".

I assume I need to figure out why I can't make a SQL Connection to an Azure SQL DB first. I have the DB, I can connect with SSMS and the Azure Data Studio, but no luck with a connector.

From what you're saying if I can get that then I can use it as a second data source for my form. That would be perfection.
It will likely be the Azure database firewall blocking it. I'm not sure if you can allow just the PowerApps connector IP but adding any Azure Service option will allow it, this does mean anyone's Azure tenant so make sure you have removed default logins and use a complex password.

@Alan Marshall 

I am able to connect through SSMS and the "Allow access Azure services" is set to On (image attached)

I am getting access issues when creating the connection under "Connections". I receive a "cannot open server @domain.com. I am trying to use AAD for authentication. (image attached)

When you set up the connection, what is the format of the user credentials? Is it user@domain.com for AAD? That is what worked for SSMS.

I am guessing a SQL login is easier, but trying for the "right" way.

I don't think AAD credentials will work, you will need to use a SQL Server login.