SOLVED

Anonymous Sharing: No option to Open file in Excel client

Iron Contributor

@Qingwen Zeng

When I share a folder anonymously, I don't get the option to open an excel file using Excel Client.

See pics.

Any reason why?  Any workarounds?

One of the excel files is 30MB and can't be opened in Excel online!

AnonymousShareOpenWithExcel.pngAnonymousShareOpenWithExcelNA.png

5 Replies
Your only option to open in excel is to use the old school sharing and share it direct where they have to authenticate via MSA. However I think they are changing that soon well here more At Sharepoint conference.

The other option if you don’t need single file reference is adding &download=1 at the end of your sharing link and then the file will download so they can then open it locally and do what they need.

Or if you need the file back share the folder and have them download them upload changes.

best response confirmed by Gilbert Okello (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Thanks.

I tried using the 'old school' sharing where one authenticates via MSA (microsoft Account?).  The result was the same... No option to 'Open in Excel'.

It seems the only option is to download first, make changes then upload (overwrite).

Am curious as to why Microsoft doesn't allow a guest user with Edit permissions to "Open in Excel".

I tested this just the other day and the open in excel / powerpoint works just fine if you use MSA authenticated access to the files. When your on the page with the excel file, does it show the logged in user in the top right corner or "Guest contributor?"

Removed the guest user.

Restarted the computer

Added guest user again.

Now it shows when using logged in with Microsoft Account.

Thank you!

Hi all,

We've definitely heard feedback on being able to open files in the rich Office clients as an anonymous user. This is something we're looking at (though no timeframe). Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gilbert Okello (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Thanks.

I tried using the 'old school' sharing where one authenticates via MSA (microsoft Account?).  The result was the same... No option to 'Open in Excel'.

It seems the only option is to download first, make changes then upload (overwrite).

Am curious as to why Microsoft doesn't allow a guest user with Edit permissions to "Open in Excel".

View solution in original post