SOLVED

Announcing Power BI Web Part Preview for SharePoint

Microsoft

We're thrilled to announce the release of the Power BI web part preview for SharePoint Online.  Learn more and join the discussion on our blog post!

Power BI reports added to a modern SharePoint pagePower BI reports added to a modern SharePoint page

31 Replies

Same with me. More exactly, it'll be very limited usage.

You guys have ruined this web part by requiring Power BI Pro. Just how much money do you want to milk from my organization? Ohh All of it!!!

and Power BI Pro licenses for everyone at an extra $10 a pop... REDICULOUS...

Seeikng a lot of discussion over here too - I'd also encourage you to jong the dialog on the blog post annouced above. @Lukasz Pawlowski

As you have observed, integrating reports is a function of the Power BI Pro license, not the free version, that's confirmed.

Furthermore, there are some capabilities in SharePoint, like a modern page, that can be turned on and off on a user by user basis.  Many of these use client side rendering and are good candidates for features that can be deplyed early using First Release People.  However, there are other parts of the service that require service-level configuration, and the back-end configuration for process-to-process communication and security requires that all users in the tenant are enabled for this feature for it to be effective.  We continue to refine the ways we can provide early access to code and features for testing as flexibly as possible, so we'd encourage you to consider either First Release tenantwide, or getting a trail tenant for testing that can be used in First Release Tenant mode.

I echo the feelings about requiring Power BI Pro licences but we also restrict the New experiece to team work areas of SharePoint. The Intranet site is fully branded and in classic mode and will be for some time. We have lots of clients wanting a simple Power BI webpart on the Intranet home page to publish Sales, Performance, H&S report, often just one simple chart and we were hoping this would be perfect.

Lots of energy also happening here.  For the most visibility, I'd encourage you to share your thoughts on the blog post itself, instead of this pointer announcement.

We are aware there are many opinions about how the Power BI Web Part Preview has been rolled out for modern sites and for Power BI Pro and are discussing these questions throughout our internal teams.  Stay tuned.

Hey @Chris McNulty the comments on that thread have been closed and I'm working with a client that's very upset about having to purchase Power BI Pro licenses to leverage the Web Part. Presenting dashboards from SharePoint feels like a very logical step in the "digital workplace" and it's available with other visualization tools without the same overhead. What could have been a slam dunk to help boost adoption is becoming a thorn in my side.

We seem to have lost the Power BI preview app in the Site Page template. It was there but now is not showing anymore. I can see Bing Maps and chart which are the other new web parts that have been added.

Any ideas?

You might find that if your sharepoint settings for the tenant are set up to not to show preview features this hides the web app. I have seen this setting hide flow and power apps from sharepoint lists.

Anyone got any idea when this is planned to come out of 'Preview'   ?

Thanks for response. Our features are enabled to show preview features as I can see the others like Bing Maps but just dont see the Power BI preview app. 

Good Post.

I know power BI are avaliable in sharepoint online. Is Power BI avaliable in SharePoint 2016?