SOLVED

Announcing Power BI Web Part Preview for SharePoint

Microsoft

We're thrilled to announce the release of the Power BI web part preview for SharePoint Online.  Learn more and join the discussion on our blog post!

Power BI reports added to a modern SharePoint pagePower BI reports added to a modern SharePoint page

31 Replies

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing, long awaited functionality.

Unfortunatelly was not able to play with it - Power BI web part in continious loop with the message 

"We need you to sign in again. Once you do, we'll bring you back here." We are on hybrid environment with ADFS.

Okay, found what entire tenant shall be on First Release, not only the people who publish and consume this web part. Not possible in my case...

I expect that the requirement for everyone that needs to View the web part to have a Pro license will have a negative impact on adoption.

Does this require that I use Groups in SPO??? We don't want groups and have turned them off.

Will it work on a standard SPO Team Silte/Library with the new experience turned on?? We are on First Release but I don't see the option to add Power BI

My guess the only requirement here are modern pages, in Groups or on Team site.

Thanx Sergei. Not seeing yet in my tenant.

Please don't yell at me too much - but by Modern Page you mean the new experience on a Library - correct??

If not what am I missing??

Guy, i'm not strong in this terminology, I mean Modern Pages for entire site. You may check the announcment on Power BI - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/integrate-power-bi-reports-in-sharepoint-online/

What they say

We’ve been busy at work with the SharePoint team building an out-of-the-box web part for SharePoint Online using their new Modern Pages infrastructure.

Sergei, I read both of those articles and it isn't real clear to me. Microsoft-speak is sometimes very hard to follow.

Thanx for the input though

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Sometimes yes...

I may only share my experience - on the picture is SPO site, not Group. I'm on First Release, have Power BI Pro license, and able to add Power BI web part. That's all what i can do - current implementation requires everyone in tenant to be on First Release. Other words, i'can't add any content to web part.

PowerBIwebPart.JPG

Thank you very much Sergei.

You don't need to use a Group, but it will require that you share the reports with appropriate AAD security groups to ensure everyone has access to the report. This might become harder to manage long term - Office 365 Groups also allow you to co-own Power BI content among users. By not using Office 365 Groups you run the risk of losing access to those reports if the person who owns them leaves your organization.

The 'modern pages' are juxtaposed to 'classic pages'.  Here's a blog that introduces Modern pages and might prove helpful: https://blogs.office.com/2016/08/31/new-capabilities-in-sharepoint-online-team-sites-including-integ...  

So, let me summarize the requirements as on today.

Licensing:

1) Power BI Pro both for the publishers and consumers

2) O365 First Release for all tenant memebers

Environment:

1) Groups site is desirable; SPO site is possible with proper support of the members in AAD

2) Modern Pages is the must

And the open question - is ADFS supported?

Just an update - @Clint Lechner confirmed it works with ADFS. We discuss that in two parallel threads.

I'm not happy that all consumers need PowerBI Pro........... would be nice to see Sharepoint Online usage of PowerBI added as a bonus.

Yes, in general that's the significant limitation and it against the principle what publishers in many cases need to have Pro and for consumers in many cases enough free license. Hope will be changed one day.

However, as for today for me is much more critical what entire tenant is to be on First Release.

Can you also clarify why a Power BI Pro license is required to get this webpart? It does not make any sense to me as other has said in the thread

Licensing:

1) Power BI Pro both for the publishers and consumers

As others have said this is a rediculous requirement. It will just mean that our tenant will never use it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Sometimes yes...

I may only share my experience - on the picture is SPO site, not Group. I'm on First Release, have Power BI Pro license, and able to add Power BI web part. That's all what i can do - current implementation requires everyone in tenant to be on First Release. Other words, i'can't add any content to web part.

PowerBIwebPart.JPG

View solution in original post