SOLVED

Add content to new column

Copper Contributor

VERY VERY new user here.  I managed to add a column to my view, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to put data in this column now. When I get to the actual file level, then I can add the information, but I really need it at the folder level.  This is corporate account, not private, and I am not admin of the whole corp, but am told I am admin of this particular page (though no idea how to confirm that is correct).  See attached screen shot.

5 Replies
You cannot add metadata to a folder, it is only for items in a list/library. Instead of folders you can group by columns etc. to build that out.

Thank you.  Guess I can't do what I want.  Appreciate the help!

There is an option in your views for the library to "Not display folders" it basically shows all the content as one view, and you can filter / group on that. Not sure if that helps at all.
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

You can actually create columns for the Folder in a document library.

1. Create a new site content type by specifying "new folder content type name" and select parent content type from as "Folder Content Types" and Parent Content Type as "Folder"
  2. Now create the columns that you want to use for the folder as site columns and preferably add them to the custom columns group.
  3. Now go back to the newly created Folder content type and add the columns to the content type.
  4. Go to the library > Library Settings > Advanced Settings > Set "Allow Management of Content Types" to yes.
  5. Add the newly folder content type to the library.
  6. From the Library, under Files Tab > Under new category > click the drop down on "New Document" and select the new folder content type and fill the columns with the metadata.

See screenshot below. Hope this helps.

FolderColumns.PNG

Srikanth is correct...what you need to do is to create a Folder Content Type where you add all the metadata you need and of course you will be able also no only to add metadata to the folder but also to search folders using that metadata
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

You can actually create columns for the Folder in a document library.

1. Create a new site content type by specifying "new folder content type name" and select parent content type from as "Folder Content Types" and Parent Content Type as "Folder"
  2. Now create the columns that you want to use for the folder as site columns and preferably add them to the custom columns group.
  3. Now go back to the newly created Folder content type and add the columns to the content type.
  4. Go to the library > Library Settings > Advanced Settings > Set "Allow Management of Content Types" to yes.
  5. Add the newly folder content type to the library.
  6. From the Library, under Files Tab > Under new category > click the drop down on "New Document" and select the new folder content type and fill the columns with the metadata.

See screenshot below. Hope this helps.

FolderColumns.PNG

View solution in original post