Add Location Details to SharePoint Data and Content

Microsoft

We are excited to announce a new capability for SharePoint lists and libraries. The new location column allows you to add rich location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to any SharePoint list or library. You can then filter, sort, and search by any aspect of the location data such as address, city, or state.

Creating a Location Column

To add a location column, simply click Add Column then select Location

1.png

You can then name the column and add secondary columns to display, sort, and filter by attributes such as city, state, or country.

1a.png

Now when creating or editing list items, you can search for location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to associate it with your list item.

2.png

Once you have added location data for your list items, you can sort and filter your list based on any of the additional columns added during the column creation process. If you want to filter by an attribute you did not include during column creation, it can be added in the Edit Column pane.

3.png

Adding a new column type to SharePoint is a rare event. We can’t wait to see what uses you come up with for this new column!

We anticipate roll out for targeted release will begin by the end of November, with full worldwide release by mid-December.

Update: After resolving some issues that were discovered in targeted release, we are now finally ready to start shipping world wide. Location Column will now be available to everyone by Monday

76 Replies

Well, we are very interested.  We have several contact lists that have separate fields for street address, city, state and zip and it would be great to be able to simply convert those to location columns based on the existing data.

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

@Deleted wrote:

I came back at the right time! Just tried it and it works great. I had a test list waiting to add this piece. Love it!

LocationSP.JPG

The 'Map View' was one of the list view types that were available in Classic - I was hoping that this would have been modernized along with the Location column, but is this not the case?

There is certainly something wrong with these coordinates. Look at image. Polish Parliament is located in Warsaw, which is located east from Greenwich 0'. Therefore it should be E instead of W. How it's possible these coordinates are shown?coordinates.JPG

Hi

Still can't find the release in our instance of O365... delayed again?

Same for us.  Feature doesn't appear in list of column types.

Not working in our instance either

@James Jackson can you clarify on what "location data from [...] your organization directory" means? Where would such location data be stored and managed?

I don't see the Location column in my tenant either

@Afghan Salon wrote:

There is certainly something wrong with these coordinates. Look at image. Polish Parliament is located in Warsaw, which is located east from Greenwich 0'. Therefore it should be E instead of W. How it's possible these coordinates are shown?coordinates.JPG

It does look like the renderer for the geo coordinates are reversing East and West. We are working on a fix now. Thanks for finding the issue! We are working on a fix right now

@James Jackson wrote:

@Afghan Salon wrote:

It does look like the renderer for the geo coordinates are reversing East and West. We are working on a fix now. Thanks for finding the issue! We are working on a fix right now

Hi @Afghan Salon,

We were able to find the issue with this last night and the fix is already in the pipeline, you can expect it in less than two weeks

@geraint james wrote:

The 'Map View' was one of the list view types that were available in Classic - I was hoping that this would have been modernized along with the Location column, but is this not the case?

We are looking at a few ways of integrating maps into the UI for the list. One implementation is in the works and may be ready by the time the product reaches production

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your patience with the roll out of this feature. We found a few minor bugs in Targeted Release and wanted to fix them before pushing to production. I should have a new timeline for you in the next few days

@James JacksonGreat news, thanks for the update!

I am really liking this feature! A couple of questions, how does it pull our company directory information. I need to know where to ensure that the data is up-to-date. The next question, can you enter a GPS information and have it resolve, like for example capturing that data from a PowerApps users phone GPS location. 

@

@James Jackson We have a SharePoint list we are using to track Candidates to hire.  Distance from the client is an important differentiator.  Can we somehow use this location field to enter their address and be able to click on something to see where they are located on a map?  Currently we have to copy and paste their address into a browser to see where they are located. 

@James Jackson is there anyway to get a map view to display?

It is a same that the column doesn´t support looking up specific rooms through Room & Equipment mailboxes. As it would be useful to have a list of Rooms & Equipment that shows the room location (what building) and whether it is free or not.

@Bryndis wrote:
It is a same that the column doesn´t support looking up specific rooms through Room & Equipment mailboxes. As it would be useful to have a list of Rooms & Equipment that shows the room location (what building) and whether it is free or not.

It would be very helpful if SP calendars could book rooms, equipment, and attendees. 

What syntax should we use for entering locations that do not have a result in Bing (e.g. a coral reef in the middle of the ocean)?