Access request settings - to share or not to share

Iron Contributor

Hi Community,

We are in the midst of planning our SPO site collections and were wondering best way forward with regards "sharing", from a user/admin perspective. 

Our idea is to have a site collection (sharing disabled) per department and everyone in the division has contributes rights.

If users would like to share content or collaborete outsite the division they would use a seperate site collection (where sharing is enabled).

This means we (think) have some control with regards permissions, groups etc.

Is there any drawbacks to having sharing disabled apart from the obvious?

Is there any best practice on this?

3 Replies
I can see a draw-back being that is content is in Site Collection A but you want to share it, then the content has to be put into Site Collection B which effectively creates a duplicate and may lead to different versions of the same file.
If you are concerned about control then my suggestion would be to disable guest links - that way users have to be invited to content which means you can monitor that from an admin perspective.
The other thing you can look at is using Information Protection to ensure that only users with the right permissions on the content can access it - regardless if the content is stored in SharePoint Online or on a USB stick.

Thank @Loryan Strant.

Yes, I can see the potential of content being "copied" etc.

I will check with out Tenant admin regarding guest links.

Just was wondering how other oganizations are letting users "Share" and the risks around it.

Cheers

Our organisation only allows for name-based sharing, so we have to invite people in to specific sites/libraries/files. We do not support guest links as we have no way of monitoring or controlling who is accessing the content.