Home

Using PnP PowerShell On Premises and Online

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Using PnP PowerShell On Premises and Online

I have a hybrid environment with a publishing site on premises and collaboration sites in SharePoint Online.  I have some scripts that need to run against both environments (independently, not simultaneously -- there will be one run of the script for each environment).

I found Erwin's article about setting up my PnP-based scripts so that they can work with either environment here:

https://rencore.com/blog/using-the-officedev-pnp-powershell-cmdlets-for-both-on-prem-and-in-the-clou... 

but it seems to be a bit out of date.  I have followed the directions about the environment variables and tried to compensate for the changes to the pathing/naming of libraries on my own, but even so I am getting errors that are keeping my scripts from running.  The first is a Warning about "unapproved verbs", and the second is that "some required components are missing" even though I just downloaded and installed both the 2016 and Online releases for March 2017. I am trying to import the pnp commands at the top of my script with this:

Import-Module $pnpmodulepath -Force

where $pnpmodulepath is a string passed in as a parameter. I am currently passing in this string:

"C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\Local\Apps\SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline\Modules\SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline\SharePointPnP.PowerShell.Online.Commands.dll"

Is there any updated guidance available for writing scripts that will run on multiple environments from the same machine?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

Re: Using PnP PowerShell On Premises and Online

Okay, I figured out that I need to target the SharePointPnPPowerShell[2013|2016|Online].psd1 file and not the .DLL.  That solves the main issue above.  I also found the -DisableNameChecking parameter which got rid of the "verb" warning.

HOWEVER...

When I try running agaist 2016 on premises, Connect-PnPOnline complains:

Connect-PnPOnline : Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientContextExtensions.ExecuteQueryRetry(Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRuntimeContext, Int32, Int32)'.

Is there some issue with ExecuteQueryRetry in the 2016 version of the library?  I have the exact same script running against my SP Online site and it works perfectly.

I have triple checked that the correct 2016 module is the only one loaded.  I really need to be able to use this against an On Prem installation, so any insight will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Using PnP PowerShell On Premises and Online

I faced the same issue and downloaded Mar release from https://github.com/SharePoint/PnP-PowerShell/releases. it worked..

Related Conversations
Linking cells from different workbooks
Matthew Arter  in  Excel  on
4 Replies
GA: Microsoft PowerApps and Flow
Chris McNulty  in  SharePoint  on
41 Replies
Online Interactive Guides
Maddie Egan  in  Online Interactive Guides  on
37 Replies
Announcing Power BI Web Part Preview for SharePoint
Chris McNulty  in  SharePoint  on
29 Replies
AAD PowerShell Commands not working (get-msol ...)
Ivan Unger  in  Azure Active Directory  on
14 Replies