SOLVED

URL for a list item into Power BI

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I am not a SP developer but this is a question that perhaps a developer would know.

I am trying to bring data from sharepoint list into power BI.  I am confronted by the various navigation steps, but eventually can create a dataset of the list items.  However, I can't seem to isolate a field which gives me URL of each item.  I can create one by spoofing the url of the list address and then adding the item suffix (everything below in bold) plus in this case the number 3.....I worry whether this is foolproof though because when I then visualise that in Power BI table and follow the link then sometimes it seems to break.   What does the last piece of the suffix represent  (in italics), is it essential, and can it be sourced from the metadata that is presented to Power BI?

https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/sites/Demo/Lists/DemoList/DispForm.aspx?ID=3&e=MYJpGX

Thanks

3 Replies
best response confirmed by ghdunn (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ghdunn 

you don't need the italis url part, and you can use ID field value in order to build a list item direct url.

Cheers,

Federico

@Federico Porceddu 

Thanks Federico...I will use that approach.

Out of interest, do you know why there isn't a full URL exposed for each list item?  It must exist somewhere in the metadata, because when you share an item you can 'copy link'.

Gerald

Hi @ghdunn ,

sharing Links have a different meaning.

Sharing Links also carry sharing permissions information for one or more users, so it is possible through a link (the same that is taken from the interface) to give access from the point of view of security to specific users. 

Url with the ID assumes that the user has already access, so there is not sharing (permissions) needs.

Cheers,

Federico

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ghdunn (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @ghdunn 

you don't need the italis url part, and you can use ID field value in order to build a list item direct url.

Cheers,

Federico

View solution in original post