SOLVED

Joined Lists and Data View Web Parts

Copper Contributor

Apologies if this has been addressed, but I haven't been able to find any answers.

I'm not a developer, just a (at one time) fairly sophisticated user -- of SharePoint 2010. I'm now in a SharePoint Online environment.

My question: I used to to be able to define 'joined lists' in SP Designer and then place a Data View Web Part onto a page (using SP Designer Visual Editor) in order to display the joined data. What is the 'modern' equivalent of that (rather simple, IMHO) process? I can still join the lists in SP Designer to create a Linked Data Source, but:

1. With no Visual Editor in SP Designer I'm struggling to get the lsits displayed;
  2. When I do manage to display (something quite ugly) it does not appear that the Data Source is actually of the joined lists data -- only one list's data is showing.

So, question 1: what should a simple user use as a Visual Editor for SharePoint Online? Do I need to get Visual Studio (which I have zero experience with) or is there another tool recommended?

Next I have stumbled through the plethora of 'new' tools which have appeared, and found:

1. Trying to use Access WebApp on the site, I can set it up and connect to the data sources... but Access does not load all the fields/columns from the target lists. I know Currency and Lookups don't come across, there may be others -- so this looks to be a dead end;
  2. Trying to use PowerBI, I can set up a report/dashboard on the tools, but cannot then seem to find a method to embed the resultant view on a SharePoint page on the site. Also because the report/dashboard exists outside the domain, it doesn't like to pull across images stored on the site for use in the report.
  3. I haven't tried to create a PowerApp as I haven't managed to understand the interface, let alone how to approach what I need to do!

To reiterate:

The objective is a joined view of select data from three SharePoint Online lists, embedded in a SharePoint page, suitable for C-Suite consumption -- ideally refreshed and updated without regular intervention.

Tools I have:

SharePoint Online (Enterprise license); SharePoint Designer; PowerBI Desktop; Excel; Access; PowerApps. Visual Studio (though with no experience or confidence).

I have Site Collection Admin access, but no higher. I cannot deply scripts (Powershell or otherwise), at least not without some clear and detailed (... for Dummies) instruction.

Data:

Three tables: Division, Project and Status

Division: ID, Name, Short Name;

Project: ID, Title, (Division ID) {as lookup to Division}

Any suggestions on how I can dispay: Project|Title, Division|Name, Status|Title is a single table view?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Kevin Peto Bostick (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Your best friend here, without any coding, is PowerApps but you will need to invest some time on figure out how PowerApps work

Juan,

Thank yo for your response. I guess I will crack open Power Apps & update my tool kit.

Cheers,

Kevin

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kevin Peto Bostick (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Your best friend here, without any coding, is PowerApps but you will need to invest some time on figure out how PowerApps work

View solution in original post