What! You need a Power BI Pro Licence

Copper Contributor

Guys, is it right that all users who wish to view a power bi dashboard on SharePoint page require a Power BI liecnce ? 

If yes, Then I find this mad! 

28 Replies

Got it. Your assessment is correct - in June, all of your users will need to be Pro. You have two alternatives (neither very palatable)

1. Share anonymously (Publish to web). Anyone with the link will be able to see the report - no authentication required. Also, data is cached for 1 hour.

2. Share the PBIX files. Have your editors distribute the PBIX files to the end users, and have them publish to their own workspaces. 

Wish I had a better story for you.... 

Thanx John, In my opinion this will be a game changer and could spell the death of Power BI for a lot of organizations.

I don't want the Pro Desktop on many of my users desktops as it just leads to broken PBIX files and thousands of the "my content is broken" and "now what" questions. Many of these people don't have the patience to want to create content.

Have no problem trying to train them but with other duties they won't have time. Power BI will die.

I agree. 

I think that that message is starting to become louder, and the team is certainly listening. I'd encourage you to lend your voice to the forum above. THe more noise that is made about this, the better. 

I finally formalized my thoughts on this topic into a blog post. If you're interested, it's at

https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/05/power-bi-premium-pricing-model-good-bad-ugly/

Feedback welcome!

Hi John, It's a good post. Covers off nicely the incoming changes and what they mean for a few of the edge case scenarios.

It's a sad day for the SMB Market reporting indeed.

I've got clients who've successfully embraced PowerBI and gained real business insight from the reports from it. Who realistically will never make the next step to business sharing and because of the hellish starting cost.

ssuming that it doesn't get adjusted. Remember, it hasn't actually happened yet....

Is there a matrix somewhere that explains the Power BI licensing? I'd dealing with a small business and need to understand if they will require all Pro licenses. the Intent is to share Power BI reports through SharePoint pages using the Power BI Webparts to embed the content. Any help to the latest information would be much appreciated. Thanks

I think the answer is yes for your scenario. It really killed our ability to use Power BI. I think Microsoft did a disservice to small businesses where the pricing is cost prohibitive.

Agree. Microsoft came up with a great product that challenged the market. Why are they so pig headed as to screw up a great opportunity? Microsoft has for years generated products to suit all sizes of business. Power BI was a product that small business could now get on board with real dashboards to run their business. 

Come on Microsoft. Smell the coffee! Give us a solution that is fair for all companies.