SOLVED

SP2016/2019 Office Online licensing

Brass Contributor

Hi

Some questions regarding licensing...
Do I need SP Enterprise?

And what license (If there are options) do i need for Office Online Server?
The users has O365 E3 licenses so they should not need cals should they? (Nope, SPOnline is not an option, Cubes is too big to sync)

I need Office Online server to co-collaborate on excel?
Do I need SharePoint Enterprise or Office Online server to connect a spreadsheet running on SharePoint to a SSAS Cube?

Thanks in advance 

4 Replies

Customers that have purchased Office 365 Pro Plus subscriptions or Software Assurance (SA) with an Office licensing suite will have OOS rights for document creation, editing, and save functionality. Other volume licensing customers, except those who have purchased Open licenses, can download OOS with view-only functionality

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/Office-Online-Server-November-2018-Update/ba-...

Thanks
Do they need SharePoint Enterprise?
In the past Excel services was an Enterprise feature and now that does not exist anymore and is part of Office Online server from what I understand.

best response confirmed by Danie Claassen (Brass Contributor)
Solution

As long as you are Licensed with an Desktop Office you have both view and Edit rights.  You dont need SP2016 Enterprise cals. .. view only is free.

Refer - Licensing Microsoft Office software in Volume Licensing 

some content from the above link...

Microsoft Office Online Server offers view-only access to Office documents on an Internet browser.
For editing of Office documents, you need Software Assurance for an Office suite license acquired
through Volume Licensing. The single primary user* of an Office licensed device can edit documents
using Office Online Server from any device, including those not licensed for Office. External users**
don’t need an Office suite license to view or edit Office documents on an Internet browser.

8. Do my employees need an Office Professional Plus 2019, Office Standard 2019, or Office for Mac
2019 license for viewing only Office Online documents?
No. Office suite licenses with Software Assurance are only required for those employees editing
Office Online Server documents.

Hello all,

If our users have E3 licenses, can they use the editing feature on the on-prem office online installed for our on-prem Sp2016 farm?

Regards,
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Danie Claassen (Brass Contributor)
Solution

As long as you are Licensed with an Desktop Office you have both view and Edit rights.  You dont need SP2016 Enterprise cals. .. view only is free.

Refer - Licensing Microsoft Office software in Volume Licensing 

some content from the above link...

Microsoft Office Online Server offers view-only access to Office documents on an Internet browser.
For editing of Office documents, you need Software Assurance for an Office suite license acquired
through Volume Licensing. The single primary user* of an Office licensed device can edit documents
using Office Online Server from any device, including those not licensed for Office. External users**
don’t need an Office suite license to view or edit Office documents on an Internet browser.

8. Do my employees need an Office Professional Plus 2019, Office Standard 2019, or Office for Mac
2019 license for viewing only Office Online documents?
No. Office suite licenses with Software Assurance are only required for those employees editing
Office Online Server documents.

View solution in original post