School Data Sync is sucessful but nothing appears in Office 365

Copper Contributor

Our school is trying out Microsoft Classroom.  I successfuly ran School Data Sync which imported, verified, and synced our CSV files.  But none of the sync'd data appears in our Office 365 or Classroom accounts, they remain blank except for a few users we added manually. Not sure if another step is needed?  The instructions imply that once the sync is complete, Classroom will be populated with the new data?

Any & all help is appreciated.

5 Replies

Thanks for using SDS and Classroom, and welcome to the forum!

I will assume your tenant is an Office 365 Education tenant and is not a trial tenant.  (Otherwise you probably would not have made it as far as you indicate).

How many records are you synchronizing, and how long did you wait?  Small sample files can take anywhere from under a minute to 20 minutes or so.  Very large CSV files could take much longer for a first time sync -sometimes many hours.

School Data Sync will sync the CSV data into Azure Active Directory- the cloud service.  Did you look at the list of active users and groups in your tenant admin console?  If they are there, but not in an on premise directory, there are ways to connect your cloud AAD to an on premise directory using Microsoft Azure AD Connect.

Also, if you selected to sync existing users but did not have any existing users, that might be the issue.  Most real-world deployments of School Data Sync do sync existing users, but test and demo setups often require you to select the “create new users” option while setting up the sync profile.

If you are ready to deploy SDS in your school, then we do have pros standing by to help to navigate issues like this.  You can request free deployment support at http://aka/ms/sdsconfirmation.  Out team will get in touch with you usually within 1-2 business days.

Thanks Matt, you were correct, I was impatient when I wrote this post, but about 30 minutes later all the data appeared as expected. I did have another question, I found that although I loaded all the teacher & student passwords., they are required to change the password on first log-in, which causes an issue as their passwords are pre-assigned and handed out. Their passwords are synced to their mail & other accounts in the school system. I found that I could disable the requirement for periodic password change, but not the one for change at first-login. Is there a way to disable that, or alternatively could I work around it by starting over and loading temporary passwords, which they could then change to the desired password at first log-in? Thanks for the tip on the deployment support, We're trying to push this forward with the teachers and if they are receptive, I'm sure we would be happy to have support. I made the first import CSV files by hand as a trial, but we would eventually link it to our SIS system. Thanks again for the response!

Settings for requiring password changes are not managed by SDS.  I did send this question to our Active Direcotry experts, but likely there is a setting there to require password changes or not, and it would require global admin rights to make a change.  Let me know if you find a solution, and I'll keep asking around here.

Matt, FYI we did this by loading temporary passwords with SDS, then logging in as each student (for the first time) & changing their passwords to the desired value.  We have only 50 to 100 students in junior high so this was reaonable.

I found that in the Admin Center, we can also use the option Reset Password for each user, and there is a checkbox in that option to not require a password change on next log-in.  I tried that and it too worked, it supprresses the password change at log-in, but it requires the password to be reset, so temporary passwords still must first be loaded.

We have teachers beginning to ceate assignments and rolling them out to students in the computer lab as a trial, so hoping it goes well!

Great- I'm glad you found the solution.  I was also trying to find a way to not require a reset or temporary for you, but if you are importing CSV files then the passwords are vulnerable, so your solution or using the Azure Active directory admin center is preferred.