SDS modifying o365 users

Copper Contributor

A user in PowerSchool was partially renamed (missed some fields).   The new user was not created in o365 yet.  We found that the SDS modified the old user account within o365. 

I have the sync setting "new or existing users" set to "existing users synced".  I didn't think SDS would have the ability to change o365 user accounts.  

Am I missing something?  Will the account be fixed after our next sync?

3 Replies

When SDS syncs with a student/teacher from PowerSchool to a user in AAD under the "sync existing users" setting, it uses identity matching the first time sync runs to match the source identity to the target identity. Once the initial match is made, SDS writes a “source anchor” attribute on the user object in AAD, which SDS will continue to use and keeps the account in sync from that point forward for the lifetime of the object. If a value on the object in the source directory (PowerSchool) is changed, that change will be synced and reflected on the user object in AAD the next time sync is run. SDS will not update any "AD only" attributes that may be synced from on-premise Active Directory like UPN, email address, first name, last name, etc.  However, SDS will update EDU specific attributes as they change in PowerSchool- things like teacher/student number, grade, and Status.

Do you know which user attribute was changed in AAD? 

Has sync run again between the time you posted this question and my (apologies) tardy response, and if so is the issue resolved?

Thanks,

Matt McGinnis

We are syncing userid...  Which is what appears to have changed.  I have a support ticket open, and we will be looking at it in the next couple hours.  Hopefully we can get it resolved, and let you know.

Hi

We finally got it resolved.  We ended up having to go to https://graphexplorer.azurewebsites.net  and fixing the user account from there.  I then had to move user out of a syncing ou, sync, and then sync user back up.

Also it was confirmed that because of how we renamed the user in PowerSchool it did change the user within Azure.

Wayne