SOLVED

SQL Server 2019 License Transfer

Copper Contributor

Can I transfer my current 2019 server license to a new server?

Read on a PDF on the SQL Server page that can be done after 90 days and needs to be in the new server for 90 days before being able to transfer it again, is this correct?

Don't plan to move it often but might need to do a move in the near future and want to know before activating the current license.

6 Replies

@iCone666 

it is better you wait and transfer licence after 90 days

SQL Server trail can run upto 90day free after that you can add licence

best response confirmed by iCone666 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
According to Microsoft License, it is possible to transfer the license to another server after a 90 days usage.. that actually means you can move your licenses 4 times a year, but please make sure you only utilize the license on one Server at a time.. 

@iCone666 

Hope this helps you with the answer..

@renefkThat was exactly what I saw on the licensing PDF.  Don't plan to be jumping around but we're considering relocating it in the not so distant future.

Thanks

@iCone666 Does this apply to an dedicated cloud server?

@renefk Does this apply to an dedicated cloud server?

Thanks in advanced

Define dedicated cloud server? is it hosted in cloud or is it utilized by a cloud service?
It all depends on what kind of Microsoft Subscription you have, are you under an Enterprise Agreement or?
Normally the 90 days are general but if you have a special case you might need to contact MS directly or your license retailer
/regards René
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by iCone666 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
According to Microsoft License, it is possible to transfer the license to another server after a 90 days usage.. that actually means you can move your licenses 4 times a year, but please make sure you only utilize the license on one Server at a time.. 

@iCone666 

Hope this helps you with the answer..

View solution in original post