SOLVED

Licensing

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am evaluating Windows SQL 2016 Standard and it is just for me. I understand I need a license once the 180 days expire. Do I also need a CAL ? If so can I just buy one and I have seen prices everywhere and in some cases the CAL is almost as much as the server license? (sorry I normally am in the Unix / Linux world with the *Other* databases) 

6 Replies

John,

You could download SQL Server Developer Edition 2016 from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads

This has all the features of Enterprise Edition but there is not experation on usage.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you for pointing that out to me and I have begun the download to install it. There still remains the other question. Should I actually need to license it, what do i need to buy as a single user?

Regards,

John

best response confirmed by John Sutten (Copper Contributor)
Solution

John,

You would only need a license for SQL Server if you plan on placing it "into production".

Defining what is production is perhaps your next question. If you're just looking for a development platform for data and procedures that you would deploy on a sepetate production server or in Azure, then you're all set; the free Developer Edition is all you need.

If you plan on running a production app on your own computer, say install a time tracking application that will use SQL Server to host data, now you're running into production use.

However, for less complex database needs, you can leverage SQL Server Express.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-editions-express

This is a scaled down SQL Server that is free to place into production. Many vender packages, like time tracking apps, will include this version of SQL Server in the package and you may not even realize it.

I used to be a Microsoft Software Asset Management Engagement Manager. If your situation goes beyond these scenarios, please describe and I'll give you a more definitive answer.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you for the information. That helps a LOT. It would be nice if Microsoft simplified their process of making a decision to download, buy or activate the product you need. Maybe a guided process?

I install the developer edition as well and it's free.

Developer edition is free, as long as you're not using it for production. If you were to use it in production and have an audit or software review, you'd generally need to buy Enterprise edition to cover the use of it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Sutten (Copper Contributor)
Solution

John,

You would only need a license for SQL Server if you plan on placing it "into production".

Defining what is production is perhaps your next question. If you're just looking for a development platform for data and procedures that you would deploy on a sepetate production server or in Azure, then you're all set; the free Developer Edition is all you need.

If you plan on running a production app on your own computer, say install a time tracking application that will use SQL Server to host data, now you're running into production use.

However, for less complex database needs, you can leverage SQL Server Express.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-editions-express

This is a scaled down SQL Server that is free to place into production. Many vender packages, like time tracking apps, will include this version of SQL Server in the package and you may not even realize it.

I used to be a Microsoft Software Asset Management Engagement Manager. If your situation goes beyond these scenarios, please describe and I'll give you a more definitive answer.

Regards,

Mike

View solution in original post