Database configured with 14 extra database files with unique filegroup names

Copper Contributor

We have a vendor's database that is configured 14 extra unique filegroups. One of them is taking over most of the drives disk space. Usually I have just seen an LDF and an MDF. The first one that was created is taking 850GB  some 1MB others more space. Are these created for performance gains if they are distributed to separate disk drives? Is that the main reason? Also why is the first one taking up most of the space? It's a pain because we are running out of space so we made need to move some or all of those off the disk drive. Sorry the vendor called the filegroup DBSpace1 etc. and refer to it in their document as a DBSpace so it confused me but reworded my original question, thanks!!!!!!

3 Replies

Good day @peter_s 

your question is a bit vague...

First of all, you speak about DBSpace which mean that you are probably in the wrong place. The name  dbspace is usually related to IBM Informix or sybase and not to SQL Server. This forum is for SQL Server topics.

Please clarify how your question  related to Microsoft and to SQL Server.

Secondly, you ask us what someone else (vendor) would do but naturally we cannot read his mind and we cannot tell you what you or he should choose or do without fully familiar your specific system, your needs, your requirements and so on. All we can do in the scope of the forum is discuss some golden rules and answer questions which are focus to the information we have.

In conclusion, if you are speaking about DBSpace which is not related to SQL Server, then I recommend you to search for DBSpace forums

Sorry I could not help more

Sorry you are correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reworded the question, my apologies!!!!!!

Hi @peter_s

Thanks,
It is OK :)

Regarding the original post: please don't edit in the future messages which already got an answer. By changing the content after someone already responded to it, you make his response irrelevant, which might seen like a spam for someone that did not followed the entire thread and does not familiar with the history.

>> Are these created for performance gains if they are distributed to separate disk drives? Is that the main reason?

It might be related to performance, to administrative reason, to privileges for different users and more...

How can we know why someone else did what he did in your system?!? To answer this we need the ability to read his mind. You should ask the person who did the action

>> Also why is the first one taking up most of the space?

Again, how can we know without examine your database?!?

Did you know that even two tables with the exact same columns, same index, and same content can be in different size? I recommend you to check this post and this post, which give one example of such case.

Have a great day :)