SOLVED
Home

Windows 5.1 been the last of the line

Highlighted
Maximo Trinidad
MVP

Windows 5.1 been the last of the line

Explain the comment going around the tech media about Windows 5.1 been the last of the line. As there are still some bugs to fix in it. What does this really means for the Windows PowerShell enthusiast?

8 Replies
Solution

RE: Windows 5.1 been the last of the line

Hi Maximo - Yes, Windows 5.1 and WMF 5.1 are the last official releases for Windows PowerShell. That said, we will continue addressing any critical blockers: E.g.: Security Fixes. Windows PowerShell 5.1 will continue be fully supported and service via Windows Updates.

Related to this question - I'm specifically interested in the issues with PS 5.1 on Server 2016 with Exchange - these have been known for over a year now and still not fixed.

Re: RE: Windows 5.1 been the last of the line

What then is the upgrade path for Windows operating systems to go from Windows PowerShell 5.1 to PowerShell Core 6?

Hi Angel, Thanks for the quick response. :)

Based on what I see with Core, WMF5 will have to stay around as tons of automation that will not work in Core.

I think of it more as a side by side if you're running Windows that is how you would install it. If your not running Windows it's your chance to have PowerShell on your machine for the first time.

Windows PowerShell is a separate product. PowerShell Core is for the cloud and all things Open Source (one shell to rule them all approach)

Windows PowerShell for Windows Administrators should still be the go to choice, and ISE will continue to run just like the 5.1 Shell will continue to run and serve all your needs. It will continue to leverage WMI on Windows based machines, where as PowerShell core can only leverage .NET Core objects! (my 2 cents)

Sure running side by side is great, and I love in vscode how I can change the version of shell but... in my experience it was a big bonus just to get windows admins/engineers to even look at the shell. Now you have splintered it. I love cross platform but this is a huge separation just as we started to get the message out about learning PowerShell.

Apologies for not spotting this one on time. :)

In fact, there's no upgrade path as the both will coexist side-by-side. I believe that it isn't in their road map for one to replace the other.  Take for example. Python also have different flavors and non of them will replace the other.

:)

Related Conversations