SOLVED
Home

Questions for AMA - Fate of 3rd Party Vendor Snapins, SCCM, etc?, Adoption, observations

Highlighted
Robert Smith jr.
Occasional Contributor

Questions for AMA - Fate of 3rd Party Vendor Snapins, SCCM, etc?, Adoption, observations

Hi,

Question for the "Ask me anything" session (and general observation).  What is/will be the fate of 3rd Party Powershell Snap-ins for products such as VMware, NetApp, Cisco gear?  How will the

(de)evolution of Powershell affect Microsoft Products such as System Center, Exchange, etc. long term?

A lot of the code that I have written for Powershell can be easily ported to Core 6.0. However, having to rework basic management automation (such as AD, Exchange provisioning, SCCM) seems to be very inconvenient if not impossible at all.  (please comment)

Lastly, adoption of Powershell by the Linux community at large appears to be luke warm at best. Wouldn't a strategy focusing on managing the various Linux platforms in conjunction with rich Remoting capabilities be more usable (get the best of both worlds)?  It seems (and feels) like Microsoft is asking the long time Powershell user community to rework a lot of code in order to try to convince the Linux community that they should move to Powershell. (please comment)

In my experience, a "one size fits all" approach seldom works. Focusing on interopabilty across systems (remoting) and turning on features specific to a particular platform seems like a daunting effort, but more realistic approach. (please comment)

Rob

3 Replies
Solution

Re: Questions for AMA - Fate of 3rd Party Vendor Snapins, SCCM, etc?, Adoption, observations

3rd parties need to do the work to ensure that they work with .Net Standard which allows them to run those cmdlets to run in both Windows PowerShell and Core PowerShell.  We are already working with a number of vendors and there is a very strong value proposition for them to do this work and in general, the effort is not large.  In particular, the ability to allow their cmdlets to run on Linux is compelling to many vendors.

Now to be clear, some vendors are not investing in their future and other vendors might have gone out of business.  For these cases, you can always access those cmdlets from PSV6 via implicit remoting.

WRT Linux adoption - can you tell me the source of your data on this?  We are transparent with our usage which indicates the adoption is quite good (especially for a beta) https://msit.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYTYyN2U3ODgtMjBlMi00MGM1LWI0ZjctMmQ3MzE2ZDNkMzIyIiwidCI6Ijcy...

Cheers

Re: Questions for AMA - Fate of 3rd Party Vendor Snapins, SCCM, etc?, Adoption, observations

Hi Jeffrey,

I cannot cite any online data, but from my experience, the Linux admins who I know and work with have very little to no interest in Powershell.  It is a shame, as the technology is quite good, especially when coupled with Remoting.

One last question (I know the AMA is over).  Are there no plans at all to update the core Remoting protocols in Windows Powershell in order to enable cross platform management?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer questions!

Rob

For Linux admins who are perfectly happy with Python, they should continue using that and Azure (for example), will support them.  For Linux admins who want to see the benefits of an object-oriented shell, they can try PowerShell Core 6 and it gives them options.  For existing Windows admins familiar with Windows PowerShell, they can leverage what they already learned on Linux with PowerShell Core 6.

As far remoting, we did add support for PowerShell remoting over SSH in PSCore6.  We don't currently have plans to backport that to Windows PowerShell.  We do have some basic support of PowerShell remoting over WSMan for non-Windows (both as client or target) with PowerShell Core 6.

Even without built in support for SSH in Windows PowerShell, you can still use SSH remoting to send the text output of Windows PowerShell.  You just don't get the objects (yes, I realize there's a certain irony here).

Related Conversations
Will Microsoft Stream work on mobile devices?
Sandy Rivas in Archived on
5 Replies
Call queue questions
SB V in Skype for Business IT Pro on
3 Replies
Storage quota limit exceeded
anonymous-user in Archived on
6 Replies
Ignite Meetup - Stream / Office 365 Video
Marc Mroz in Announcements on
1 Replies