You can't assign more than 11 people to a single task. Seriously!?

Copper Contributor

On the top of all other Planner limitations, can the Planner team allow adding 15 people to a single task? Seriously, it's another road block for my organization to adapt to O365.

16 Replies
Mmm...I'm not aware of any limit in regards of the people that can be assigned to a single task...did you experience this by yourself?
Just being curious: why would you allocate that many people to a single task. In what circumstances is that relevant?

Well, say you have 12 people in your team and you want to let them update - say - their LinkedIn profle... I can imagine a lot of equally relevant examples...

We have 24 people in our team. The manager often asks all of us to do something, so a task is created. With the limitation of 11, we can't use this feature. We have to use another tool.

Same issue for my org. This should not be limited.
Same issue here- we have multiple kinds of tasks that require the same action of each team member. I cannot understand why the time was taken to code a limit on this option, when project managers should only be as limited to assigning task members as the number of people they work with.

Nothing immediate @Faiza Qadri - but the team are looking at this scenario and have some plans to address this kind of need without the use of multiple checklist items or assignments.  I'll share more when I can.

Best regards,

Brian

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Hi, this is one of the big roadblocks for me. I have, in most cases, to give single assignment to multiple users but if such limitations are there, i will be in trouble. So, can you pls. help me out with this? Typically, as a Head Quarter person, I have to assign a similar task to multiple Branch Managers (currently 200 nos.). Thanks 

gyanendrakarkisblco_0-1590820338495.png

@gyanendrakarkisblco Take a look at the new Task Publishing feature coming soon and documented here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/manage-tasks-app#task-publishing It sounds like that would fit your scenario nicely.

@Brian-Smith 

Hi Brian,

Do you know when this feature will be released?

May I ask what other tool you use?

@KaiC I also just realized I am limited to 11 people per task, of course afterI send an e-mail to more than 11 people telling themthey will be part of the task. What a silly limitation. A year later and still not addressed. Not the best way to build adoption...

Is the task publishing feature mentioned above a possible solution for this scenario? A year later and not addressed because that feature isn't a core scenario that isn't already accommodated by other products or workflows. If we did add that feature your next ask would be that each person has to mark their assignment complete - otherwise the first says the task is complete and nobody else does it - which is why even assigning to more than 1 person isn't always a great idea. Project allows more assignments and individual tracking of effort and completion.

@KaiC It has been years and Microsoft still keeps this limit. I just hit the ceiling. If there is anyone from Microsoft is monitoring this forum, please change the limit to 99.

@Brian-SmithI chair a meeting with a group of academics which has 30 members. There are quarterly meetings and each meeting results in some tasks for all members to complete on behalf of their Centre and some for the chair to complete. We are using Planner to list these, collected into one task for members with actions as sub-tasks and one task for the chair. We are unable to implement the overall hierarchy as the organisation is not ready to adopt this level of co-ordinated planning and I cannot get the central team to upload a csv file to enable our area to use this. Planner is the best way for members to see the tasks, and yes please I would like to see when each person has completed their actions. At least allocating the task to all 30 members would be one step in the right direction - currently I need to create the same task 3 times to enable all members to be allocated their actions.