Planner Regional Date Format

Deleted
Not applicable

Our users are really starting to love Planner and it is becoming a major tool with Managing Projects. With no training at all they are finding it easy to use. One issue though is we are struggling to get it to show English (UK) date format. We are different in the UK and like our days before our months.

Anybody in the UK been able to change their settings? 

11 Replies
Can't believe in this day and age that Microsoft would even allow this to happen, when they get so much of their business outside of the USA. It's mind boggling to put it nicely!

Similar problems around old Europe region with like DD-MM-YYYY format. I see that some of all settings coming from tenant location when it is created. Corporations across globe has problems with international settings also.

It is now 2018 and we still don't have regional date format!.....

What browser are you using to do this?

I am using Google Chrome and apparently, the Planner uses the language/time settings from Chrome (somehow...)

In the Advanced settings you can find "Language and input settings". There, my language used to be set to English (US). I deleted this and added English (UK). You can also change the order of the languages by dragging and dropping them.

E.g. I now use:

English (UK)

English [this seems to be something standard and cannot be removed]

Dutch

I also set the English (UK) language as the one in which Google Chrome should be displayed.

After some time, when re-opening the Planner, the date format was DD/MM!

Hope this helps

What browser are you using to do this?

I am using Google Chrome and apparently, the Planner uses the language/time settings from Chrome (somehow...)

In the Advanced settings you can find "Language and input settings". There, my language used to be set to English (US). I deleted this and added English (UK). You can also change the order of the languages by dragging and dropping them.

E.g. I now use:
English (UK)
English [this seems to be something standard and cannot be removed]
Dutch

I also set the English (UK) language as the one in which Google Chrome should be displayed.

After some time, when re-opening the Planner, the date format was DD/MM!

Hope this helps

Thanks - I had the same issue and this worked like a charm. Now to start planning to set browser settings by Group Policy (though it would be good if Microsoft made it simpler to determine regional config for entire Office 365 tenancies) :)

Hey all!

Thanks for your concern and patience with this issue. We've found a solution that should relieve a lot of these issues and hope to complete this work soon. In the meantime, you can change your browser settings (as outlined in other comments) to reflect your preferred format as a workaround. 

Best, 

Joanna Parkhurst, PM Planner

We are still waiting for this solution to be applied.

Come on Microsoft, a tiny proportion of the world uses the US date format - (about 4%); it's a non-standard, minority format. 

Please get the fix out as incorrect date formats create real world governance and clinical risks in our industry

Thank you very much! After removing extra languages in Chrome and logging in to Planner again, the date format is displayed correctly.
Yeah,
I'm in Australia and changing the language in my default browser worked for me.
This updated the format in both Planner on the web and in MS Teams.
Removing English(United States) and added English(Australia).
I'd imagine this would work for those in UK by adding English(United Kingdom) also.

Pretty happy to find this thread 6 years later.
Yep, this browser language change works.
A bit misleading that Office 365 specifically lets you choose your regional settings, including the date format, but fails to apply these settings in Chrome.