Oh yeah, guests users support is finally coming to Planner!

MVP

So now it's official: guests users support is finally coming to Planner as you can check in the Office 365 Messages Center:

Updated feature: Microsoft Planner now supports guest user access
MC132887
Stay Informed
Published On : March 27, 2018
We’re updating Microsoft Planner to support guest user access. We'll begin rolling this feature out in the next few days.

This message is associated with Office 365 Roadmap ID: 14702.

How does this affect me?

Guest access in Office 365 Groups and Microsoft Teams enables end users to collaborate with people from outside your organization. If you decide to enable guest access, as administrator, you can grant access to group conversations, team chats, files, calendar invitations, and the group notebook. With this update, guest users will also be able to access Planner plans for any groups and teams they've been added to.

We will begin rolling this feature out over the next few days, and we anticipate rollout completion by the end of April.

What do I need to do to prepare for this change?

There is nothing you need to do to prepare for this change. If you would like to manage guest access for your organization, please click Additional Information to learn more.
9 Replies
That's great to hear!!! Thanks for the heads-up Juan.

Hey,

Any update?

Thank you!

It looks like this left the rolling out status and went back into development on 4/20?

Checked last night and wasn't available.

Checked this morning a "voila", guest access to Plans available :)

This is very good, we have already tested it out and it works - but not 100%.

We are using it via Teams, and I am a guest user in a Team in another tenant.

First of all I can't create a new planner in the team as a guest. I can however create tasks in an already existing Planner (still as a guest).
Second, when I have created a task, I (as a guest) can't make any new comments on the tast. The comment-field is gone when I enter as a guest.
Third - when another user creates a comment, I can't even see this comment. I do get an email that a comment has been added to the task.

Any other with the same experience her?

I just got asked for help with setting this up for someone, so am researching.

Check out this permissions matrix

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/guest-access-in-microsoft-planner-cc5d7f96-dced-4da4-ab62-0...

Seems to go along with your experience.

@Erlend Moen wrote:

This is very good, we have already tested it out and it works - but not 100%.

We are using it via Teams, and I am a guest user in a Team in another tenant.

First of all I can't create a new planner in the team as a guest. I can however create tasks in an already existing Planner (still as a guest).
Second, when I have created a task, I (as a guest) can't make any new comments on the tast. The comment-field is gone when I enter as a guest.
Third - when another user creates a comment, I can't even see this comment. I do get an email that a comment has been added to the task.

Any other with the same experience her?

The two issues around comments in Planner are now fixed!

As a guest user I can now both read existing and create new comments.

@Erlend Moen can i please ask how you managed to solve the problem of guest accounts being able to add comments to a card within MS Planner? Thks

I didn't actually do anything - it just started to work. I guess there was a bug somewhere that was fixed? I just tested it out again. I change to another tenants Teams where I am a guest user. I then open a Planner-tab in a channel I use, and can then comment and use Planner as in my own tenant. I also tried to "expand" the planner in Teams so it opens in a separate website to see if it behaves differently. It was the same experience there.