Create the limits and boundaries page for Planner

Steel Contributor

Dear Planner team,

I'm really surprised to not find anywhere the official page (and updated page after each change) related to the Planner limits and Boundaries.

I found the MS Teams one:

But nothing related to Planner and that is missing.

The message available with Google search is only this publication (but really light):

That is not sustainable for a real adoption program.

So for example, many question can come like:

• how many sub-plan can we create per Planner group ?
  • How many Bucket max per plan ? (different values are available)
  • How many tasks or subtasks per bucket ?
  • How many assigned task per user ?

You can see many values are missing to help the promotion and positioning for this product into a company like mine (more than 80'000 employees).

Can you take a look and publish something related to that ?

Thanks by advance

Fabrice Romelard [MVP]

PS: Do you have any expected date for the permission isolation of the sub-plan ?

4 Replies

There is an interesting discussion about Planner limits here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner/Planner-Limitations/m-p/61650#M705 I also think is worth to tag some of the Planner guys about this request @chtran @Eray Chou @Joanna Parkhurst

Thanks Juan Carlos,

But as you can see into the message a discussion started in Aprils 2017 has no sense today due to the delivery rhythm in Office 365.

As customer, we need to have an official page managed and updated by Microsoft when each no limit is changed to be sure our corporate communication and positioning is based on clear values.

As you can see in the discussion you mentioned, many people confirmed that need and this is now the time to publish something more professional

I also looked on Internet what could be the number of buckets max per plan, and only that value is different into the messages I found (5, 7, …) and at the end I have no idea what is the current value for this only question. And we have several questions to present that product for clear usage.

So the product group has to take that question into their dev tasks asap :)

Thanks all for your help.

Fab

I haven't hit any limits myself yet, but that's probably because we haven't embraced it... fearful of getting egg on the face and having to do a lot of unplanned work to move into a new solution after hitting a limit we couldn't anticipate because of this unfortunate (but thankfully openly honest) statement from @Joanna Parkhurst: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner/Planner-Limitations/m-p/172357/highlight/true#M1498 "....we won’t be publishing official documentation on what these limits are...."

Thanks Ian for your comment,

Basically from my side I never raised any Office 365 limits, but in my company (>80'000 employees) many raised some (items limit per list exceeding 100'000 for example, subsites limit raised with more than 2'000 subsites, old quota site raised with hundred of GB used, ...).
So to position correctly the product and not find some user deciding to use Planner as a Meta Project management tool instead of Project Online (which needs license cost), we need to have official page or statement somewhere, published and maintained by MS Team (after each update deployed).

The comment and discussion into blogpost, or discussion board like here is not really sustainable at all.

So that is really mandatory from my point of view and for any of the Office 365 tools (To-Do, Forms, Planner, …)

Fab