Update on Focused Inbox rollout for Outlook 2016 for Windows users

Microsoft

Edited: Nov 10, 2017 with updated information. 

Focused Inbox is coming to an Outlook near you! Here is an update on our status for Outlook 2016 for Windows. If you want to see our latest for other platforms, see our blog post, as these details haven’t changed.

Note: we have provided admins the ability to control the rollout of Focused Inbox in their organizations. For more details, read our blog post on admin controls.

Rollout status

As a reminder, there is a client and service side component required for Focused Inbox to appear in Outlook. The user’s mailbox in Office 365 & Outlook.com must receive a service side update to be Focused Inbox enabled. Secondly, the user must have a build of Outlook that includes the client-side updates necessary for Focused Inbox to appear.

Service side status:

We deployed to 100% of Office 365 (Exchange Online) and Outlook.com mailboxes. This is no longer a factor in availabilty.  

Client side status:

There are a few client side requirements:

• Requires build 16.0.7967.2xxx+.  
    • This build began rolling out on April 21, 2017 to the Monthly (formerly Current) Channel for Office 365 ProPlus as Version 1703.
    • Those using a Semi-Annual (formerly Deferred) Channel build will not have access to this feature right now, as those channels offer delayed access to builds. Semi-Annual Channel will get Focused Inbox in 2018. 
  • Currently, the feature requires Office 365 modern authentication be enabled.
  • Previous use of Clutter
    • To ensure a good experience for those who previously used Clutter, user may get Focused Inbox rolled out in a defaulted-off state. See the chart in the “Transition from Clutter” section of our blog post.

186 Replies

It's available for some. I had it show up in my OWA. I couldn't say if it showed up in Outlook client as I didn't enable it.

@Allen Filush

The situation here:

• Full tenant First Release
  • Focused Inbox in OWA enabled and working
  • Focused Inbox in Outlook for IOS enabled and working
  • Modern authentication in EXO enabled
  • Office 2016 C2R Version 1704 build 8067.2115

Focused Inbox in Outlook desktop still doesn't work...

Am I missing something?

>> Since I use OWA/outlook.com as by backend email service

As in consumer Outlook.com? It's not yet supported in the desktop - they are working on it though. 

Yes at home I am using the consumer outlook.com.  Thanks for clarifying as everything coming out of microsoft just refers to Outlook 2016 and its not clear between office 365 pro/business and office 365 home.  Would be nice/helpful if they seperated the two out when releasing notes.  At least I now know its not yet available vs something is not working on my devices.

Same scenario for me, I am at build 8067.2115 CtR. Focused Inbox enabled in OWA but not on Outlook 2016. Got me recent links feature though. I'm going to open a case.

We noticed our tenant had focused inbox enabled for it recently.  I went ahead and enabled it for my mailbox. 

1.  Focused inbox visible in OWA, Outlook V1704  Build 8067.2115 C2R Current Channel on home laptop, and mobile clients.

2.  Focused inbox not visible in Outlook V1704  Build 8067.2115 C2R Current Channel at work.

We do have OAuth2ClientProfileEnabled set to $true.  

My work client is connecting using OAuth as shown below

Outlook_connection.PNG

Is there anything that can be done to force my work client to have Focused inbox enabled?

Just in case anyone else goes through this. Just spent a couple of hours with the Outlook team on a service request for this. Here is what we did...

Disabled Cached Exchange Mode

Removed Profile, Added New Profile, Disabled Cached Exchanged Mode

Verified Modern Auth

Verifed OWA has Focused Inbox

Ran OffCat

Changed all my autodiscover settings for some reason

Reinstalled Office 2016 from CTR

Attempted to enable Multi-Factor Authentication (I had to fight against this one... almost locked me out)

A bunch of reinstalls again..

Still no focused inbox. They are escalating I guess.

This morning I opened my Outlook, no focused inbox. Then for fun, I closed it and opened again.. aha, I got the "Meet Focused Inbox" bubble.

and I see it in my Inbox.

https://www.screencast.com/t/goDbLfhu

But as you can see, nothing under the view tab.

Closed and reopened Outlook, and it's there.

https://www.screencast.com/t/o3YOxhiZO3

Build: 8201.2025 CTR First Release for Current Channel, Office Insider Slow - That's where Focused Inbox apparently appears.

0365 release.JPGI am on that same release.  I do have focused inbox but I do not have the choice in the view tab???

Focused not in view tab.JPG

Thank you for this info.  I just re-installed Office using the First Release for Current Channel (office insider Slow) from the portal which is Version 1705 Build 8201.2025 C2R.  Now my domain joined work computer can see Focused Inbox! 

Update:

This morning, automagically, Focused Inbox turned on in Outlook desktop on my tenants!

I guess there is nothing that can be done to accelerate the activation process.

If you are compliant, the only thing to do is to wait that they flip the switch...

Great news all! You should all be seeing this now or soon! 

Should we still be seeing focused inbox in Outlook 2016 (windows)  if our 0365 tenant is still set to 

Set-Organization Config -OAuth2ClientProfileEnabled $false ?  We tried changing this during off hours and our tests on 4 machines showed that everyone was going to have to re-authenticate.  We decided to not make the change until we could inform the users and regional IT Directors.

No, you will not see FI if you have that set to False. Needs to be true. As noted in the original note, we will remove this requirement in a future update. 

We are, unfortunately we are seeing it for users who have Set-FocusedInbox -FocusedInboxOn set to $false, which is super confusing.

Could you clarify what you mean when you say 'seeing it'? Are they getting it turned on by default? Or do they have it available as an option to turn on themselves?

Focused not in view tab.JPG

I know you say that BUT see my Outlook 2016 with it still at false.  Focused YES but the view tab option to turn it on/off not available.

Just curious how long it should be before we start seeing FI show up?  Im using O365 home with Outlook.com as my email service.  No FI showing up yet.  I'm on insider slow build.

We turned on modern authentication early this morning and so far so good.  Many have reported in that they have focused inbox.  We notified regional IT directors of the change being made last week and posted to Yammer All Company.  This week thursday we will do live webinar training on Focused inbox and a few other email features.

Christine

My appologies for not clarifying. It is turned on by default and they have the option in the view tab to turn it off. I don't think it's actually categorizing anything as "Other" though. I am still attempting to find that out.