Premium Outlook.com features now available to Office 365 subscribers

Community Manager

Today, we began rolling out new benefits for Office 365 Home and Office 365 Personal subscribers who use Outlook.com. These premium email features include an ad-free inbox, enhanced protection against malware and phishing, larger mailbox sizes, and premium customer support. In the coming months, we’ll be introducing additional premium Outlook.com features to make personal email and calendar experiences for Office 365 subscribers more powerful, productive, and secure.

Read the full blog post here!

5 Replies

The ATP Safe Links feature that is modifying emails needs to be disabled. Or it needs to have an option to disable per subscription. This "feature" ruins my use case of email, and it doesn't offer any enhanced security as now every single link looks like a phishing link.

This decreases security.

How do I disable this for my subscription?

@J B wrote:

How do I disable this for my subscription?

This feature can be disabled but it does require contacting the customer service team, from the Advanced Outlook.com security for Office 365 subscribers page:

Can I deactivate these security features?

To provide the best protection for your account, these features are on by default and not designed to be turned off. You can contact our customer service team via in-product support to have them deactivate the features on your behalf, but we do not recommend it.

I get this is not what you used to and it looks odd but believe it or not it's adding much more protection that will help prevent phishing and ransomware attacks but I understand it may seem superfluous.

Hope you get it resolved anyway.

Can I deactivate these security features?

To provide the best protection for your account, these features are on by default and not designed to be turned off. You can contact our customer service team via in-product support to have them deactivate the features on your behalf, but we do not recommend it.

Unfortunately, I have requested multiple times in the last week from the support team and they have ignored me each time and patronizingly said that they can do nothing, even when pasting them that direct quote.

I get this is not what you used to and it looks odd but believe it or not it's adding much more protection that will help prevent phishing and ransomware attacks but I understand it may seem superfluous.

And this is patently un-true. First, this forces users to trust any and all links provided in an email. This is dangerous behavior to put into users minds. Let me explain:

Fifteen years ago, it was "true" that website-injected advertising was "safe" - and then multiple attack vectors hit most of the advertising platforms, including Microsoft's, with security issue after security issue.

Since I have no way of testing this without signing up for enterprise services because I have no control over the behavior or function, Microsoft has reduced my security by making me reliant upon the word of Microsoft that this is purely for the benefit of users - which should be taken with a mountain of salt, given Microsoft's track record of this sort of thing.

Please give us the option to disable this!

This is a nightmare user experience. Links to well known and trusted sites are now ruined and I can no longer see where the link that I wish to trust is going to. Additionally I now know all the links I click on are routed via Microsoft servers making it obvious I am being tracked.

When GDPR kicks in in Europe are you going to make it available to see all the data you hold on my account? Including every single link I ever click on through this "service"?

Give me the option to turn it off without having to jump through hoops.