Outlook for Android search issue

Copper Contributor

The toggle is not available on mine.The toggle is not available on mine.This is the results I getThis is the results I get

Hi Guys,

I have installed the Outlook app for Android and set up my Office 365 email account but my search functionality doesn't seem to work correctly.

When I'm searching, only contacts are appearing and the toggle from the first picture isn't available from my app.

I tried to search using the subject from one my mails and it's not appearing as well.

Any ideas? Thank you!

28 Replies

It might take some time for the "All results" group to appear, initially you will only see the "contacts" one. Give it some time to load the results, or try a different query. For me it works fine on version 3.0.8.

We had the same issue with all of our work Android phones with Outlook app V3.0.2

Permanent Fix: 

Simply uninstall the Outlook app from your Android phone,

Restart the phone,

Reinstall the Outlook app directly from Play Store,

Add the email account and login,

Let it sync for few minutes,

Try searching a keyword and it should work now. @Raizel 

Uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling made no difference. The search is only showing results from 2012 to 2015 more recent emails not showing.

@ThinkPositiveOnly I tried that it didn't work

@Jwwk281705  I've tried reinstalling my Outlook for Android, as suggested, but every search continues to return 'No results' - a big problem for Outlook useability on the move. Last year it used to work ok and I'm not aware of making any relevant changes.  Any suggestions welcome!  

@4everLearning have you found a solution? I have been dealing with the same issue for months. I have forced closed, cleared the cache, deleted the account and reinstalled as well as deleted ans reinstalled the app. Nothing is fixing the search problem. The search result continues to return null! So frustrating. 

@E2005x3 No I have not found a solution. I like outlook very much but this causes me problems.

@E2005x3, sorry I've not found a solution to this very frustrating problem.  More web-searching hasn't come up with other suggested solutions.
Microsoft, please give this attention and help us with this issue which seriously impacts the useability of Outlook for Android and so Outlook generally.

Does anyone at Microsoft read these community discussions?

This seems like a very common problem affecting many people and should be fixed as soon as possible!

I don't think they do.

@Raizel 

I was looking for a solution to the search functionality not working on my Outlook for Android app, which led me to this discussion.  I have just found the solution by chance..   Every time I used the search function it always showed 'no results'.   If I click on the down arrow next to the search function, the search default was to my hotmail email (microsoft email), which I rarely use, but it wouldn't let me change to one of my other email accounts.  A get around it to click on the house icon for 'all accounts', and the search function worked!  I hope this works for everyone else.

Amazing fantastic such a simple solution fixed immediately. Thank you so much. @Suzanne1495 

I don't have a 'house' Icon I have 'All', 'Email', 'People', 'Files', 'Events' and they all return 'No Results'  @Suzanne1495 

Same with me, Jwwk281705.
Suzanne1495, please can you clarify what you mean by the 'down arrow next to the search function' and the house icon. I can't see these either.
Thanks, 4everLearning

@Suzanne1495 I have the same problem. Next problem is, that I don't see Home button, neither down arrow. So 'search' function still doesn't work. Worked many years ... Please, are you able to help with this? 

Android ver.10 on Galaxy S9+. Outlook ver. 4.2320.1

@Jwwk281705 

After you click the search icon, on top right you can see the down-arrow near the mail icon. (You should see it above the 'Events'). Click it to see a Home button to the right of 'All Accounts'.

Thanks. You have reduced my hypertension a little bit.

@johnrameshkhan 

I have only one account. I don't see down-arrow, neither Home button. Please see screenshots: texts are in Slovak language, but position and meaning is same as in English. 1-st screen is before tapping search icon and the 2-nd is after tapping. Nowhere is a down-arrow neither Home button. Only left-arrow - back arrow.

Screenshot_20230614-153152_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20230614-153227_Outlook.jpg

@Suzanne1495 

Thank You!  This was my exact issue.  2 emails and search was pointing tov he one I rarely use.  I reinstalled Outlook many times as suggested by other posts and search would work for a while and then stop working.  That search target drop down option is not something I noticed before until you pointed it out.

You would think it would default to searching all email accounts or they would make that option more noticeable.

Thanks so much Suzanne!