Collapsed parent folder notifications for subfolder unread mail count

Copper Contributor

I have a large network of subfolders across many parent folders in my Inbox. However, "unread" notifications only show up on the subfolders when I have the parent folder expanded. I want to have the notification on my parent folder to indicate the "unread" count across all subfolders under the parent folder when it is collapsed so I know when a message has arrived in a subfolder. I've seen some old threads on this topic that indicated that this wasn't possible, but that seems ridiculous. Appreciate any help.

3 Replies

I don't think there's anything new in this regard, I'm afraid. Have you posted it on UserVoice?

I haven't posted on UserVoice; was not aware of this until now. Thanks for the tip.

Has there ever been any official explanation as to why this functionality does not exist? This product is more than 25 years old, it is absurd that this is the case.

After 25 years, adding it to existing code could introduce bugs.  (Most likely, would.) 

Adding it only for collapsed folders would be resource intensive as you opened and closed folders. Always showing the total count in all folders, open or collapsed, would be resource intensive (and confusing).