SOLVED

how do you change the default email client in OneNote?

Copper Contributor

OneNote community-

I have an "old" (but still active) email address using Windows Live Mail 2012 (POP account) -- but have been moving all of my mail to my Gmail address.

In OneNote, when I use the "Send" option,  OneNote picks up my WLM "Email message" to send the OneNote stuff, and of course the WLM email has the "old" email address in it -- so anybody getting the email I sent from OneNote responds to my old email address.

So is it possible, and how do I do it -- to get OneNote to use the Compose feature in Gmail instead of using the WLM email message stuff.

And yes, it isn't just OneNote -- I have this problem at other times when using a Mail-to link, for instance in a website (it always picks up WLM as the mailer) -- but thought maybe I could attack this problem for the OneNote approach since it is something specific to work on.  I am running Windows 10, and yes, I have gone into Settings and changed the Default Email App to Google Chrome (the drop-down list did not offer Gmail), but that didn't help.

So can anyone help me out with this -- hard to believe this is a unique to me problem.

ron in round rock

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Ron Smith (Copper Contributor)
Solution
How are you using Gmail on your Windows 10 computer? I didn't think there was an app or anything similar?
OneNote and other apps when they send an email are looking for applications that can handle the "mailto:" instruction. So my suggestion would be on Windows 10 to connect Gmail to the built-in email client (which is supported) and set that to be the default. Then you'll be able to send via Gmail.
You can't change the mailer on an app to app level, only OS level.
Loryan-

Yes, that is probably part of the problem -- I just don't know what Gmail is called (never heard it referred to as an APP). Regarding your comment about changing the Email App at the OS level -- as mentioned in my original post, I did go into Settings (Windows 10) and they had a drop-down for several Default email apps and "Google Chrome" was in the list, so I changed the "Default apps" for Email to "Google Chrome" -- hoping that would get me to Gmail, but that didn't work. So you are probably right, I need a true APP.

I discovered a 3rd party APP that claimed to act as an interface between things line OneNote and Gmail, but those things scare me to death -- I just don't download tat kind of stuff unless I can get some independent verification that the code is good (clean).

I did discover a questionable work-around by changing the name and email address on the Account->General->User Information of WLM -- which caused email to be sent out with the Reply set up for my Gmail address. That seems to sort-of work (i.e. A Reply will have my Gmail address in it) -- but one of the tests shows that the receiving email program didn't like what I did -- i.e. my receiving Gmail (I sent the OneNote email to my Gmail address) flagged the message as a possible phishing message. I put a couple of extra lines in my signature insert, trying to explain "not to worry, it is really me".

I just hope this approach doesn't screw anything else up. I have very little need to use these Mail-to or OneNote Send emails links very often -- but it is just a real annoyance to me to have my old WLM App to pop up. I would just copy and paste the document to Gmail, but I have had problems in moving the email addresses some of the times when I do that.

I guess I should just write this off. I think your answer of needs to be an APP is the best explanation. Thanks for the response.

ron in round rock
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ron Smith (Copper Contributor)
Solution
How are you using Gmail on your Windows 10 computer? I didn't think there was an app or anything similar?
OneNote and other apps when they send an email are looking for applications that can handle the "mailto:" instruction. So my suggestion would be on Windows 10 to connect Gmail to the built-in email client (which is supported) and set that to be the default. Then you'll be able to send via Gmail.
You can't change the mailer on an app to app level, only OS level.

View solution in original post