Tags in OneNote for Windows10

Copper Contributor

OneNote 2016 allows to set tens of tags and also to add custom ones. According to this document:

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/basic-tasks-in-onenote-for-windows-10-081573f8-2e8f-45e5-bf...

OneNote for Windows 10 can only set 7 kinds of tags. On the other side it looks like it can display tags from OneNote 2016. Is there a way to set other tags in OneNote for Windows 10?

3 Replies

Afraid not. OneNote on Windows 10 is a cut down/web app, not a full blown version of OneNote. As you suggest, Tags from OneNote 2016 will show in the web app version but sadly, you cant cut & paste them either, so you're better off using OneNote 2016 and taking advantage of the full functionality.

It is such a shame that they are discontinuing support for 2016 in favour of the Windows 10 app.  I am trying to migrate across but I want to give something a special tag and I cannot do it.  Seems a backward step to me?

@Martin Curtis 

In whatever is the latest downloadable (as opposed to browser) version of OneNote (as at Feb 2021), you can add custom tags - go to the Home area and then click the down arrow beside what are the 'top 3' tags already in use !!! Hardly intuitive. The place to click has a red arrow pointing to it in the attached jpg.