SOLVED

Policy Preventing Known Folder Move

Brass Contributor

I am testing Known Folder Move in our environment but I can't get it to work successfully. No matter whether I enforce it through Group Policy or try it manually, the following error occurs:

OneDrive ErrorOneDrive Error

I have no clue what this policy might be - all the OneDrive settings in Group Policy are cleared. Before I started testing, I had Folder Redirection configured for the Desktop and Documents folders. However I disabled it with the option to redirect the folders back to the local user profile since OneDrive complained that it cannot redirect folders that are on network locations. Now after Folder Redirection is disabled, this message is driving me nuts - what is this policy that is preventing it, any clues?

12 Replies

Did you run RSOP?

Saw the same thing on my end and after making sure no policy was applied. Ran gpupdate /force, logged off and logged in. KFM didn't run silently like the policy was supposed to do but didn't get this alert again.

I ran GPResult several times to make sure that no restrictive policies apply to the client. The only ones that apply regarding OneDrive are:

GPResult_OneDrive.PNG

Your picture shows what applies to the computer. run gpresult with user rights to check again.

RSOP will give you a better view as to what is applied to the user.

best response confirmed by Yordan Yordanov (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Here is the setting I discovered that caused this issue.

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Explorer

DisablePersonalDirChange = (0)

Once this was set to (0) that policy issue went away.

Hope this helps you.

Yes, absolutely! This corresponds to the following policy:

Policy Prohibing OneDrive KFM.png

Once I removed it, it worked! Thanks very much to both of you for helping me sort this out!

@Yordan Yordanov Look at [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\OneDrive]"KFMBlockOptIn" and if it's set to "dword:00000001" then the users are blocked from enabling KFM in OneDrive.

Setting this policy to disabled and adding a warning note in the policy comments completely resolved the OneDrive backup issues in our environment. After a simple gpupdate all the red disappeared, and we could backup user folders to OneDrive automatically as we desired. Thank you for sharing this.

@Adam1313 Which policy? There are at least two suggested in the previous comments.

That key does not exist. @Robert James Reber 

KFMBlockOptin is not present in the registry

@Gary1264 - what type of error or experience are you seeing?

I'm going to assume "the error of it not existing" since I don't see that key either.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Yordan Yordanov (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Here is the setting I discovered that caused this issue.

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Explorer

DisablePersonalDirChange = (0)

Once this was set to (0) that policy issue went away.

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post